SonoranWanderer

Trails Offroad has an Apple App Now

For those who like to use the TrailsOffRoad.com site, they now have an app in the Apple App Store. I am not (yet) advocating for the app other than I think its about time since app-based maps are almost always easier to use then regular web browser based ones on a mobile device or tablet. It supports all the normal website usage, and allows for convenient "offline" downloading of routes. It supports route navigation. The trail "Follow" options gives you detailed guidance from waypoint to waypoint. You can preview that guidance in the Trail description/details.

This could be a real cool guidance app option for those just looking for a simple "list of trails" to go have fun on and run. 

No android/Google Play Store version yet.

Edit: I just found that @4x4tographer already pointed this out as a follow-up comment to his own thread on Online Trip Planning Resources. Good find much earlier Ryan and sorry for the redundancy.

Edited by SonoranWanderer
  • Thanks 1

I love the fact that it lets you download an entire state at a time. I keep forgetting to send them feedback, but: 

1. I think if they added their web-based "Push to GAIA" functionality into the app, it'd be absolutely baller.
  2. I'd like to see the ability for a reviewer to post a review straight from the app. Might help get more frequent trail condition updates via the reviews out there since the Trails Offroad "trail owner" only updates periodically
    1. Offline mode could allow the user to wait to upload the review until they have signal
    2. Take geotagged photos along the way that could be queued into a bulk upload with their review
  3. App doesn't currently pull down the section from each trail's page where details on permit requirements live

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4x4tographer said:

I love the fact that it lets you download an entire state at a time. I keep forgetting to send them feedback, but: 

1. I think if they added their web-based "Push to GAIA" functionality into the app, it'd be absolutely baller.
  2. I'd like to see the ability for a reviewer to post a review straight from the app. Might help get more frequent trail condition updates via the reviews out there since the Trails Offroad "trail owner" only updates periodically
    1. Offline mode could allow the user to wait to upload the review until they have signal
    2. Take geotagged photos along the way that could be queued into a bulk upload with their review
  3. App doesn't currently pull down the section from each trail's page where details on permit requirements live

That's actually really good feedback to send. I would agree with it all. But regarding #1 I could see why they might drag their feet on that one. It is kind of self-defeating from a "please use my app" point of view. 😃