Sign in to follow this  
LaZorraRoja

Relay to a relay?

On the topic of loom, I have a rather large box of assorted sizes that I'd be happy to share if anyone has a wiring project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Stacey and Scott said:

On the topic of loom, I have a rather large box of assorted sizes that I'd be happy to share if anyone has a wiring project.

I'll be sure to hit you up on that. I'm just down the road from Jason. 

Ha!  This one?  I got it also....lol! 

image.png.35d94e2ec7a7af0e2e3979b8cabc3fc2.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gearhead said:

Ha!  This one?  I got it also....lol! 

image.png.35d94e2ec7a7af0e2e3979b8cabc3fc2.png

me too, but haven't even had a chance to test it yet!

observations so far:

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3

Looking at the video on how to add a pressure switch it appears to me the on/off circuit isn't 90amps, the wires are too small. 

So you could insert the relay wiring where the pressure switch was wired, and if you want both, just run them in series.   It looks like there is plenty of room on the cover to physically mount the relay.  

32 minutes ago, WILL E said:

Looking at the video on how to add a pressure switch it appears to me the on/off circuit isn't 90amps, the wires are too small. 

So you could insert the relay wiring where the pressure switch was wired, and if you want both, just run them in series.   It looks like there is plenty of room on the cover to physically mount the relay.  

I hadn't thought of that, but at this point it's probably more direct to do all the relay/breaker under the hood vs taking it out of the mount because i ended up mounting it to the e track first then attaching that to the bed side. 

Good observation for the next person wanting to do this for sure.

2 hours ago, WILL E said:

1 hour ago, LaZorraRoja said:

I hadn't thought of that, but at this point it's probably more direct to do all the relay/breaker under the hood vs taking it out of the mount because i ended up mounting it to the e track first then attaching that to the bed side. 

Good observation for the next person wanting to do this for sure.

the rocker switch on the compressor actually just signals 2 large built-in relays. you wire the pressure-switch in series with that rocker and so it's also only signaling those internal relays (once the toggle is "on"). 

this does bring up a good point though...

if you'd known for sure that you'd be opening up the compressor to install a pressure-switch, then you could have avoided using an external high-current relay on the main power lead. instead, you could have just used the output from your Jeep switch panel to trigger that same low current internal relay circuit.

so, the external high-current relay is still the correct option for anyone hesitant to hack on the internals of the compressor wiring, but it is NOT needed if you're already cracking it open to add a pressure-switch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theksmith said:

the rocker switch on the compressor actually just signals 2 large built-in relays. you wire the pressure-switch in series with that rocker and so it's also only signaling those internal relays (once the toggle is "on"). 

you could have just used the output from your Jeep switch panel to trigger that same low current internal relay circuit.

Is the idea to  connect from the switch panel right to the compressor switch wire and basically bypass the compressor on/off switch?   

Looking at his mount and setup I am not sure I would bother with an in cab switch.   Adds complexity (failure points) where there doesn't need to be any.  Just turn the compressor on at the compressor switch when you grab the hose.     If you had a tank then being able to flip in on in the cab would help but then you will want to add a pressure switch and a tank won't help much in a 4 tires inflation system.    At this point I would consider just keeping it simple and if you decide an in cab switch would improve your experience you can add it later. 

Edited by WILL E