theksmith

What are your rig plans for 2022?

Posted (edited)

what's everyone planning (or hoping) to do with their rig in 2022? 

i mostly want to just wheel this year! i'm pretty happy with how Gadget is performing right now.

i do have a couple projects in mind that involve cuttin' & weldin', but there's no rush on them... relocating the rear lower shock brackets up higher and modding my bent rock sliders.

long term i still hope to eventually do the Teraflex 8 lug full-floating axle conversions, but that probably won't happen this year.

AM-JKLXZYQl5Lkbq8wRntat8auXpeo-PEFg2bG1b

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

Last year was a big growth year for Oki with the Clayton lift and 35s going on.

In 2022, "getting out and learning" is one of my big goals. I'd like to get more experience in off-road recovery, wilderness first-aid, tackling tougher trails, and reading obstacles for better/safer lines.

This year I have a few projects & wish list items I'd like to tackle. Some are functional, some are pure vanity 😅

Functional:

Vanity:

• High clearance exhaust
  • Rock lights
  • Fenders from KBD bodykits
  • Some custom vinyl graphics

AM-JKLWOzayvzDnfDD7l8Caxxee9QLPgQDmHKO7B

• Like 3

Looks like we have the same plan, spend entirely too much bloody money. With a smile while I'm enjoying some generic mac & cheese.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I spent the last two months of 2021 smoking cash around the camp fire after selling my 2008 manual JKUR and replacing it with an, originally pure stock, 2018 auto JLUR and then getting it to the "same or better" level of capability as the '08 (thread on that forthcoming). 2022 should see only minor changes while I get used to rock crawling an automatic transmission on 37's. 😃 I still have a few parts bought in '21 to install. The Yaesu FTM-400 pulled from the '08 just got installed last weekend. After the winch goes on this weekend and the Tazer shows up later this week, it's in "minimum requirements for tough off-road" state and ready for real use.

I'll probably add lighting over time and if a bargin pops up on the FB marketplace or Craigslist, a soft top. I'm sure there will be lots of little things as I get used to the new build. Probably some RokBlokz to keep off the daily muck of the dirt road I live on.

The focus for '22 will revolve around practicality, what time on the trail dictates. Depending on how froggy I feel, maybe new fender liners and a fender chop.

With our other two Jeeps (Shelley's Bluebell and my "trail limo" Mojave) having proximity locks, I am sure I'll get annoyed enough at having to constantly dig the FOB out of my pocket that I'll probably add those to the '18 this year too.

image.thumb.png.7619b43b50d48606d1412355bef83b43.png

Edited by SonoranWanderer
  • Like 4

One of my goals this year is to wheel more and get more camping in. I am in a wanting to learn and grow mode lately. Here a few things on this list.

• I would like to learn more about route planning. This includes finding trails, finding camping spots and POI's on over-nighters or day runs that I lead. I will be picking people's brains a little more as part of this process.
  • I need to up my camping organization game to be more efficient & comfortable. If I can do that it would make doing more multi-day overland runs in the future easier/plausible.
  • Improve camp cooking.
  • Improve reading trails and obstacles.

Rig wise I am pretty happy with where Betty Lou is build wise for the upcoming year(s). She's due for some scheduled maintenance (Spark Plugs  & PCV Valve) later this year. Other than that the plan is to keep up on regular maintenance and fix things as they come up. She may be due for ball joints this year too so I need to start planning that financially, this includes stocking up on generic Mac & Cheese. 🤣

I may do some research into an external antenna set up for my handheld GMRS radio.  It seems to work good as is so I am not in a rush yet but I do want to look into it at least.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

In 2022, "getting out and learning" is one of my big goals. I'd like to get more experience in off-road recovery, wilderness first-aid, tackling tougher trails, and reading obstacles for better/safer lines.

Wilderness first-aid sounds like something I'd like to learn too along with off-road recovery. I may add them to my "to learn" list.

• Like 3

Now that I am emissions exempt I can ditch the totally useless A.I.R. system.   This complicated piece of engineering is prone to problems and isn't very effective.   But don't worry fans of clean air.  I will keep the PCV, EGR and CAT.  Those are all great systems.    

To ditch the AIR system I have to plug the air tubes in the exhaust manifolds.   I scored a pair of used replacements which I can fix up and just swap onto the jeep.  I'll take them to a machine shop and have them checked for cracks and re-planed?  (Is that the term)?  

The 'new' driver side is an older model that flows much better than what I have stock, so I will have the exhaust redone once I have them installed and will add an O2 Sensor so I can use a AFR gauge to tune the carb.

I am going to add an aftermarket oil temp and oil pressure gauge along with an 9qt oil pan.   The pressure gauge on the old FSJ's are very inaccurate and slow to respond. 

Other ideas:

Ditch the A/C system.  It hasn't worked in a couple of years and I don't drive the rig when it is warm.   This will give me a lot more room to work around the engine compartment. 

Replace the stock alternator with a CS140.  This will give me a lot more charging power, especially at idle, when the tire compressor is running. 

Replace my old Flood Lights with something new with LED's.  

Add those cool sway bar links that allow you to twist the knob to 'disconnect'.  

Add an external transmission cooler.  (getting rid of the AC condenser will make this easier).

I need to chase down a couple of oil leaks too. 

I've been getting out a wheeling a lot and I am going to keep that up!

80A3B5EB-A624-43FE-AAFE-8AF2AE37CB10_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 5

@WILL E If you are going to upgrade the Alt, I hope you have done the Ammeter Bypass.