theksmith

Room for more on 2 incredible upcoming Club trips!

Join us! Our Cherry Creek day run (this weekend) and Red Creek overnight run (in 2 weeks) have a few spots still open!

If you're on the fence about joining the club or which trips to take time for, let me assure you these are worth it! They're both unique and epic photo-worthy destinations here in central Arizona, and this is likely one of your last chances to run these trails with a group.

Both trails are permanently closed by the new Tonto Travel Management Plan that's already been approved. We've been informed by the National Forest Service that the closures will be enforced later this year when new Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) are published.

Please note these are Offroad Passport Club members-only events. The club is a bunch of helpful folks with 4x4 rigs of all types and it's a safe, responsible way to hit the trails. Click here to upgrade your membership!

If you have any questions at all about the club, or these trips - just ask!

2027707814_0122-CherryCreekcopy.jpg.6d69

1656416608_0205-RedCreekcopy.jpg.26df210

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

my Ford is stock height, just leveled.  Can "I" make the trip ?  (don't want to hold up the gang because of me.)  

IMG_20220101_112849~3 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Richard, unfortunately you aren't able to go on either of those runs, they are "club" member only runs and you are a "supporting" member. 😬

If you notice Kristoffer stated "Please note these are Offroad Passport Club members-only events".

Edited by Trail Toy

30 minutes ago, Richard Anderson said:

my Ford is stock height, just leveled.  Can "I" make the trip ?  (don't want to hold up the gang because of me.)  

Thanks for asking! You've got the clearance, but...

Unfortunately the current state of the obstacles on both of these trails require a smaller truck/suv (FJ Cruiser, Wrangler, maybe an older Tacoma, etc.). Red Creek has always been a tight fit in places even for a Jeep. Cherry Creek used to be fine for full-size rigs, but there are a few washouts now that your track-width might not make it through.

I think the upcoming KOFA trip would be OK for a large pickup, but the sign-up list is currently full (with 1 person on standby). I'll look over the list of upcoming Club adventures and see what else might be suitable for a full-size rig.

Edited by theksmith
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, theksmith said:

Thanks for asking! You've got the clearance, but...

Unfortunately the current state of the obstacles on both of these trails require a smaller truck/suv (FJ Cruiser, Wrangler, maybe an older Tacoma, etc.). Red Creek has always been a tight fit in places even for a Jeep. Cherry Creek used to be fine for full-size rigs, but there are a few washouts now that your track-width might not make it through.

I think the upcoming KOFA trip would be OK for a large pickup, but the sign-up list is currently full (with 1 person on standby). I'll look over the list of upcoming Club adventures and see what else might be suitable for a full-size rig.

Looking to the far future, the El Camino del Diablo run on 11/11/2022 (through 11/13) is suitable for full-size rigs. The signup list is full, but standby can take as many people who are interested. People on the "in list" drop out all the time for all sorts of reasons. Your biggest challenges on ECdD, because of the stock height, will be:

• the playa section of the route may be difficult if the rutting on the trail is deep (trying to ride above the ruts is "fun")
  • the section of loose rocks leading into the mine area near the end of the run is probably going to scratch up your underbelly good

Outside of those two challenges, and having off-road tires that will withstand driving on tire-shredding lava rock, it's really a 3-day "Sunday drive"*. I have done it in my Jeep Gladiator which is still stock height other than having the factory M/T 33s ("C" load range) replaced with M/T 35s ("D" load range). It really depends on your risk tolerance level and driving skill.

* If the the trail is wet, all of this is out the window and the driving level will get more intense (those ruts in the playa got there for a reason). If it's too wet we will reschedule.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Richard Anderson said:

Nice truck man! Can you tell us a little more about it? It'd help us to understand what you've got done to the rig to be able to give you some suggestions.

For example, do you have anything going on underneath in terms of protection?

Some skids plates and rock sliders got my stock height rig through a lot of interesting runs with this group. :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FYI, the 1 night Red Creek adventure is now taking standby sign-ups.

There's still room on tomorrow's Cherry Creek day run for a few last minute folks to join though!

• Like 1