Trail Toy

4/2/22 Cottonwood Canyon Rd. to Mineral Mtn. Rd. Between Superior & Florence - Easy to Moderate

Cottonwood Canyon Road serves as one of the entrances to a very popular OHV area commonly referred to as Florence Junction. This expansive area is littered with old mining claims, mine tailings, hieroglyphic writings, mine shafts, and beautiful scenic views.

The highlight of this trail is the ancient petroglyphs that have been scrawled onto the rocks within Cottonwood Canyon.  There are many beautiful petroglyphs to be found, mostly on the northern face of the canyon walls.  What the petroglyphs are telling us may be a mystery, but they are but a brief glimpse into the lives of the ancient people who may have lived or traveled through here many years ago.

The town of Reymert was originally established around a post office that started operating in 1890. Reymert was named after its founder, James DeNoon Reymart, who also founded the adjacent milling and smelting town of DeNoon. Originally a silver mine, then later a silver-manganese mine, the town's occupants largely worked at Reymert Mine until work there stopped in the 1950s.

From Mineral Mountain Road OHV enthusiasts can plan a full day’s adventure with any number of the local trails. There have been, on occasion, deer, and desert tortoise sightings. 

Please join us for another epic adventure of off roading fun!  This run will encompass 4 trails, 2 of which are short out and backs.  We'll start on Cottonwood Canyon Rd. just off Hwy 79 and head east to Mineral Mtn Rd.  Once on Mineral Mtn Rd. we'll head north to the first out and back to see Cottonwood Canyon Petroglyphs, then continue north to the next out and back which is Reymert Mine Rd.  After completing that trail we'll continue north on Mineral Mtn. until it ends at Hwy 60.

This run is subject to cancellation/postponement due to weather, fires and/or closures, etc.

REQUIREMENTS:

• A high clearance 4x4 with a low range transfer case option, suitable front & rear recovery point, aggressive 30" or larger A/T or M/T tires.  Recommend aftermarket skid plates, rock rails and sway-bar disconnects
  • Ham radio on 462.700 Mhz 
  • GMRS channel 21 (462.700 Mhz)
  • Rigs & drivers must meet all the typical state/federal legal requirements for on-highway vehicles (license, insurance, registration, seat belts, lights, etc.)
  • Permit required: Link

Itinerary:

• Meet up time will be 9am, depart by 9:30am.  Meet up spot will be a dirt lot at the beginning of Cottonwood Canyon Rd. off of Highway 79: Map
  • Gas up beforehand, closest station is a Circle K about 16 miles from the meet up, 1 full tank should be plenty: MAP
  • Run about 22.24 miles, travel time estimated 3-5 hours

Sign-Up:

@Trail Toy

@MADDOG

@CAVU2

@Ken Ford

@T and A

@rodrakejr

@CharlesM4

@gearhead

• Reply to this post to be added to the list, there is no rig limit at this time
Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1

I'm in, Jason. See you there!

Michael

• Like 2

I'd like to join your run!

Edited by CAVU2
  • Like 2

Please sign me up!

• Like 2

Please sign me up!

• Haha 1