Trail Toy

Easter Run - 4/16/22 2nd Annual Black Canyon OHV Trail Via Table Mesa Rd. & AZCO Mine Rd. - Easy To Difficult - Near Black Canyon City

If you really want to take a trail less traveled, look no further. The Black Canyon OHV Trail is a skinny, windy, hilly, and in some areas very rocky road that requires a decent off-road 4wd vehicle. It winds through the mountains between Black Canyon City and Table Mesa Recreation Area giving it the name of Back Way to Black Canyon City or Black Canyon OHV Trail.

The trail is overgrown along some portions ensuring you'll get some all natural Arizona pinstriping on your vehicle and provides plenty of technical spots for a long challenging ride through the scenic mountains. If there have been recent heavy rains, you can expect some washed out areas as well. It has lots of high desert cacti and foliage to view, and you'll also find yourself up-close to some cliffs, driving through deep dry river beds (unless it's stormy), and finding some interesting rock formations along the way.

I ran this trail last year on Easter weekend (Saturday before Easter) and had a great time, it was my first time leading a run.  This trail offers some fun technical sections, ass pucker moments and great scenery.  After running it last year I decided I would make this an annual event and run it every year on Easter weekend.

This run is subject to cancellation/postponement due to weather, fires and/or closures, etc.

REQUIREMENTS:

• A high clearance 4x4 with a low range transfer case option, suitable front & rear recovery point, aggressive 33" or larger A/T or M/T tires.  HIGHLY recommend a lift (2"+) aftermarket skid plates, rock rails, sway-bar disconnects and a limited slip/locker
  • Ham radio on 462.700 Mhz 
  • GMRS channel 21 (462.700 Mhz)
  • Rigs & drivers must meet all the typical state/federal legal requirements for on-highway vehicles (license, insurance, registration, seat belts, lights, etc.)
  • Permit required: Link

Itinerary:

• Meet up time will be 8am, depart by 8:30am.  Meet up spot will be a dirt lot off of Table Mesa Rd: Map
  • Gas up beforehand, there are various places (Anthem, New River) on the way, 1 full tank should be plenty
  • Run an estimated 18 miles, travel time estimated 3-4 hours, last year with a few pit stops and lunch it took us about 4 hours

Sign-Up:

@Trail Toy

@Ken Ford

@Elkpakr

• Reply to this thread and I'll add you to the list.  There is no rig limit at this time.

Here's a picture of our track from last year.  The purple track is the easier part rated easy to light moderate (1-3), the orange track is the harder part rated moderate to difficult (3-5).

IMG_9875.jpg.4ab39f9ff5b41b751b87cfd1cf9a045b.jpg

Edited by Trail Toy

Sign me up!

• Like 1

I'm in! Should be fun!

• Like 1

Weather is looking nice for this run, temps in the mid 80's and SSW winds in the mid teens.

Sounds like a great last run before we head north, please add me to it.

• Like 2

Jason,

I am having some unexpected issues with the installation of my rock sliders that I won't be able to finish tonight. I'm sorry but I'm not going to make it tomorrow.

Glen

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

GREAT run today, this trail is so much fun.  It's a little harder than when I ran it last year, more rutted and washed out, still a total blast though.  Total run time was about 2 hours 40 mins with a couple short pit stops. 

Thanks to Ken and Dick for coming out today, was nice to meet you Dick, safe travels heading home in a couple/few weeks and hopefully we'll see you next season!  It was also nice to meet Allen's (Ken's son) friend Brad, hopefully your rig will be ready to run with us next time. 😎

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 2

Thanks Jason,

really nice trail.   A little technical and the views across the valley made it even more enjoyable.  

• Like 1