Sign in to follow this  
shellback91

Battery "Draining" Question

Last night I went out in the dark garage and looked around my rig. I saw no lights on anywhere in or around the Jeep. I checked any and all connections I could find and saw nothing wrong. I am not able to get my hands on a meter yet but it is on my "next thing to purchase" list.

I wandered down to Auto Zone after work today and exchanged the battery for a new one. This one has a manufactured date of 1/22 on it so I am going to monitor the situation and see what happens. It is entirely possible I got my hands on a lemon last summer.

Thanks for the input gang. The error code, as simple as it looked, threw me off because some codes can be a red herring at times.

• Like 2

I've got meters I'll bring this weekend, just in case.

• Like 1

Post bump for my own OCD reasons. I noticed I did not explain to my liking on the first post.

brian regan what GIF

I had a general idea of what the "error" message was. I forgot to mention I had checked all lights and wiring as best I could so I was a little baffled by that message.  I know some "error" messages are not always what they seem so I asked.  We shall see what happens with the new batt going forward.  Thanks again everyone for input!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also will bring my OBD Reader and battery Jump Starter...... I always carry them

since I drive a 25 year old TJ :)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ken Ford said:

I also will bring my OBD Reader and battery Jump Starter...... I always carry them

since I drive a 25 year old TJ :)

The battery jump starters are priceless. I have a multi use one and it saved my bacon last year. 

• Like 1

Take the trouble code with a grain of salt. I have a left headlight voltage high code( post headlight upgrade) that always comes back. After extensively testing there is no real problem, the computer just doesn't like the feedback from the resistors is the circuit for the LED's.

• Like 2

A quick trailhead check of your alternator if you get access to a volt meter this weekend 

Key on, vehicle engine not running, battery voltage at the battery posts  should read approx. 12.5 volts.

Start the engine and the voltage should increase to close to 14 volts.

Edited by jgaz
  • Like 4

On 2/18/2022 at 8:01 AM, jgaz said:

A quick trailhead check of your alternator if you get access to a volt meter this weekend 

Key on, vehicle engine not running, battery voltage at the battery posts  should read approx. 12.5 volts.

Start the engine and the voltage should increase to close to 14 volts.

Thanks for the pointer, my alternator's fine based on my readings I just took. I had the voltages you mentioned at both steps.  Must have got a lemon battery last year.  If it happens again I'll go with a different brand.

• Like 1