4x4tographer

4/9/2022 - Impromptu Payson ORP Family Time!

Posted (edited)

Hey there! I'll be in Payson on Saturday, 4/9 for a good chunk of the day with nothing to do. Is anyone interested in meeting up in the area?

I'm running one of my kids up to a day camp near the Whispering Pines.

**UPDATE** The new plan has been added to this post*

THE PLAN:

07IT13a.png

Click here for GPX tracks and waypoints

Meeting Location:

Trail Descriptions:

• Easy trails, likely 2WD the entire day
  • Graded dirt roads, some bumpy rocky sections
  • narrow/off-camber areas
  • Paint pinstriping possible, especially for full-sized rigs
  • Possible mud

Rig & Driver Recommendations:

• Any high clearance truck or SUV
  • Suitable for drivers of all experience levels
  • GMRS or Ham radio would be nice, but not required. I have 2 spares I can loan if you need.
    • I will be on GMRS 20 (462.675 Mhz)

Itinerary (rain or shine!)

• 1) Meet at Starbucks at 9:45 am
    • Fuel is available across the street
    • Depart by 10:15 am
    • Take 87/260 north for about 20 minutes on a nice scenic drive towards the rim
  • 2) Turn off onto a dirt fire control road (FC64) and air down
  • 3) FC64 to Diamond Point Lookout for scenic views (at the end of FC64)
  • 4) Connect to the Pyeatt Draw access/bypass road north of the famous Pyeatt Draw trail with a possible stop to see the Shoofly Indian Ruins
  • 5) STOP for lunch on the hidden, but very short First Water trail for a creek side picnic in the shade
  • 6) OPTIONAL: Depending on how long we chill by the creek, we can go 10min north to do OPTIONAL trails:
    • FR195 for an easy but scenic climb to the base of the rim (approx 1 hour total - out and back trail)
    • Dry Dude Creek for a very short trail with the potential of a flowing creek at the headwaters of the East Verde River (approx 30min total - out and back trail)

CAMPING OPTIONS:

Like any National Forest, there's a lot of camping available for those who would like to camp. We'll be passing by sites all day. Some suggestions along our route:

• First Water has large, open camp sites right on the creek
  • Dry Dude has a large open camp site at the end of a very short trail
  • FC 64 has a TON of dispersed camp sites but is on a main line through the area

INTERESTED PARTIES:

@MzPriss

If you're interested in going, give me a shout so I can keep a headcount. :) 

CONFIRMED AS GOING: 
@Bradywgn71

@Richard Anderson

Edited by 4x4tographer
Updated with “the plan” and confirmed attendees
  • Like 1

Chris and I are in.  Rockhounding and picnic idea appeals to us.  Ric and Sue are also interested but please mark as tentative.  They are off-grid and can't respond at this time.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

put me as tentative for now.

i'd be down to run Payette Draw - it's been a few years since i've driven it... the last time i was there Brady drove the trail in Gadget and i walked it spotting!

if no-one wants to do that level of trail, i might be interested in just hanging out, lunch by a creek, and maybe even camping for a night (depending on weather).

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1

We'd be down for an easy trail and lunch by a creek, or hanging out and having lunch in town.

• Like 1

Man now I wish I wasn't going to be girl scout camping all weekend so I could see everyone. It has been too long. I will say you better save the bowling idea until the girls and I can join. We love bowling and would hate to miss doing it with the ORP family. Maybe that can be a summer thing when outside it too hot for wheeling??? Just a thought. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Yodamom said:

Man now I wish I wasn't going to be girl scout camping all weekend so I could see everyone. It has been too long. I will say you better save the bowling idea until the girls and I can join. We love bowling and would hate to miss doing it with the ORP family. Maybe that can be a summer thing when outside it too hot for wheeling??? Just a thought. 

UGGGGGGGH. FIIIIIIINE. We won't go bowling. :) 

the lady in the van GIF

• Haha 2

Just now, 4x4tographer said:

UGGGGGGGH. FIIIIIIINE. We won't go bowling. :) 

good-evil.gif

• Haha 2

That escalated quickly. 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

Interested! My daughter would love the rock hounding if she’s off work.  We may be in Overgaard that weekend and can come down for the day.

I haven’t made an event yet but have been wanting to.  Would have my big truck so probably sticking to easy trails and picnics also.  :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

Interested! My daughter would love the rock hounding if she’s off work.  We may be in Overgaard that weekend and can come down for the day.

I haven’t made an event yet but have been wanting to.  Would have my big truck so probably sticking to easy trails and picnics also.  :)

It’ll be great to meet ya’ll! Is that the Titan you’ll be driving?