WILL E

Favorite "Pull A PART" Bone yards?

A clip broke off my front caliper.  The axle is from a 78 ford F250.  I am not sure I can find it on line, I might have an ebay source.  But I can go to a bone yard and look around and hopefully find an older rig.   I don't know how prevalent this part is.  It's a D60 front end and generally I have found brake parts from that era are more interchangeable.      So what's your favorite bone yards for older rigs, it's been a while since I have been to one and my go too was in AJ but it's closed. 

• Like 1

i've been to the huge Pull-n-save on 27th ave downtown, and several other smaller ones nearby, including "Just Truck & Van" - i don't have a favorite though!

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1

So I found a site that sells the parts I need.  They come in a two pack, I ordered two two packs so I will repair my problem and have 3 trail spares.   Think about your own rigs.  Do you have  small parts that can 'disable' your trip? I carry extra brake lines and brake fluid, I figured I was good.    The funny part is I swapped in the dana 60 so I wouldn't break down on the trail but that is exactly what happened.  The dana 60 front axle is recognized to be a pretty durable unit for off roading but a small part managed to disable my jeep enough that I had it towed home.   

I miss the days of Junkyards everywhere and you could find just about everything.  From more than a Dozen in Yuma during my HS years, there are about 3 left.

I used to love walking around just checking out cars and parts.     I love the smell of gear oil in the morning. :)

Edited by Curly
  • Like 3

We used to go to the Pick-a-Part on Extension in Mesa. We got a bunch of stuff there for my Jeep. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the old days of wandering through the yard.   You spot a mirror, air cleaner, seat  or something else you think might work (even though you were looking for a caliper or the right length drive shaft).     It was fun.   Except for the spiders.  I hate spiders. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

the used car parts business is so much better organized these days - any newer or enthusiast type vehicle is usually picked clean before it ever arrives at a pull-it-yourself yard. all the major parts and even smaller in-demand items are pulled by a professional company, cataloged and warehoused for sale on ebay or car-part.com.

i still enjoy occasionally just wandering through and looking at stuff. i like seeing how vehicles are put together behind all the modern interior trim, or spotting some weird forgotten old model of car.

• Like 4