4x4tographer

8/14/22: Casner Mountain Trail | Near Sedona/Flagstaff | 4x4 Moderate | Day Trip

1 hour ago, 4x4tographer said:

Hey @snoopy61

Sorry for the long post - but there's a lot to say on the subject!

I personally use 2 different deflator options - you only really need one:

Option 1 is the popular ARB ARB600 Deflator. It's been a workhorse - I've been using it for every trip for about 6 years without fail. It works by removing your valve core on your valve stems to allow the air to defeat very quickly. You have to manually monitor the pressure until you are where you want to be. There are several different, cheaper options out on Amazon.

• PRO: You manually control the pressure and can stop at any PSI you want for the trail conditions.
  • CON: It takes a little longer to use to deflate since you're working 1 tire at a time. You also have to crouch while using it.

Option 2: I also use a set of 4 Coyote Automatic Tire Deflators. They're very similar to this popular option from Staun that many folks here use.

• PRO: They're nice because you can deflate all 4 tires simultaneously, and automatically - meaning you can walk around, chat with friends, while the deflators do their thing. Once they stop, you just take them off and you're good to go!
  • CON #1: You have to put in the time up front to preset them to the tire pressure you prefer to run on the trail. Once you have them dialed in, it's as easy as screwing them on to your valve stems and waiting for them to stop automatically, about a 4-5 minute process.
  • CON #2: You're stuck with the pressure you set them to without the ability to easily adjust pressure to the trail conditions on when you're running (sand, rock, snow, gravel road - for example: you might want to run 20 psi for an easy dirt road, but 12 psi for sand, etc. 

There are some fancier systems out there, like those from MorrFlate, but they are pretty pricey - but well-designed for airing up and down with the same gear.

What I do is:

1. Initial deflation with my Coyotes (all set to about 16 psi)
  2. If I need to deflate further, I'll make some adjustments with the ARB.

My recommendation for the first time user is to get the ARB style of deflator to get you started. You can always grow into some auto-deflators in the future. 🙂

Also - if you air down - you're going to want a way to put air back in to the tires for the trip home! Don't forget a compressor!

"Don't forget the compressor"...wait for it, compressor questions on the horizon.

*Pretty much everyone has a comp setup so if you want to check out before you buy, ask around on your next run.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Stacey and Scott said:

"Don't forget the compressor"...wait for it, compressor questions on the horizon.

*Pretty much everyone has a comp setup so if you want to check out before you buy, ask around on your next run.

Haha! Totally! Especially with this group we probably have every compressor known to mankind covered.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

Haha! Totally! Especially with this group we probably have every compressor known to mankind covered.

We sure do. I'd like to get a bougie 4 hose set up one day for my compressor. But that's a discussion for another thread. 🙂

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2022 at 9:18 AM, shellback91 said:

We sure do. I'd like to get a bougie 4 hose set up one day for my compressor. But that's a discussion for another thread. 🙂

They’re worth the money, so just go bougie already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AZRNintheJeep242 said:

They’re worth the money, so just go bougie already.

I definitely need to do some more research. I know there are a few options out there, I will look for the most bougie. 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, shellback91 said:

I definitely need to do some more research. I know there are a few options out there, I will look for the most bougie. 🤣

Well I can speak for the Morreflate one and they’re pretty amazing and bougie.

• Like 1

FWIW - Remembering my first few runs, I just used an air gauge tool to deflate my tires, and borrowed a compressor a time or two.  I totally recommend holding off on buying anything until you have 2-3 runs under your belt and then get something that you like.  There's enough people on these runs to share tools and allow you the time to gather information for what you would like best.  On the Casner run, we can help you at both ends...air down and air up.

smiles, ladybug

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Two weeks and counting! We just received the permit in the mail this week - it’s official! WE’RE going to Casner!

Looking forward to seeing you all for a beautiful trip!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Please sign me up! 2 people 

Edited by Scott Millet

5 minutes ago, Scott Millet said:

Please sign me up! 2 people 

Hey @Scott Millet, welcome to the Club! I’ll add you to the standby list. You’re 3rd in line at the moment.

If you’re interested, there is a second trip planned for 9/24 that still has 1 open spot left for Club Members like you!

Let me know if you decide to go on that run instead.