Grand_Seltzer

04 Wj Overland build - Trailhawks Revenge

bumper looks good!

OK update time again, Still going through some health testing, monitoring and treatment. Primarily working with Mayo but feeling and doing much better. 
During one of my trips to mayo recently, I had my local mechanic install all new stainless brake lines, hard and flex lines. Found the calipers to be showing their age so replaced them as well, since well, if my kids are going to ride with me, brakes need to be non questionable. 

Finally got to head upto windrock and really flex this wj out and so far so good! Even on 32s! Did trail 51 upto Panther Rock and earned my Badge!

0wxCZJf.jpg

BcoNNkG.jpg

Even went up the other day with some friends to see the eclipse. 

5obzwAR.jpg

Plans Moving forward,

New set of Nitto trail grapplers have been sitting in my garage for a month now, also just waiting on shipment from Battleborn wheels for some new beadlocks going on. I like the JK takeoffs but it's time to start stepping up a little bit more if I'm going to continue to play around at windrock lol I already have 1" taller springs sitting in my garage so those will go on about the same time. 

I've also been talking with HK offroad. I have placed an order for their new rear bumper and tire carrier. I don't mind the spare riding in the back hatch area but I'd like to get it out back and add some rear protection armor. Plus the new tires being bigger will take up more space... either way, its coming out and my 'overland box'  is going back in with some modification to fit a new fridge. The JP40 has been great but its honestly just been a little too big for me. So sizing down to 20qt and modifying my box to fit it which already has sliders. 

Also planning on rock sliders, need those for sure! And likely putting on my old DBM rear corner plates on this jeep that I saved off my old jeep. 

Also installed some new cabinets in the garage... one is almost strictly WJ "TO-DO" stuff. lol its sad but its chucked full of projects.

BdkZk9c.jpg

That's all for now! 

• Like 3

great flex shot! what size are the Grapplers?

Just now, theksmith said:

great flex shot! what size are the Grapplers?

295/70/17 so a true 33.25 x 11.5 
35s will be nice in the future, just trying to preserve these axles just a litttttle bit longer lol

4 minutes ago, Grand_Seltzer said:

295/70/17 so a true 33.25 x 11.5 
35s will be nice in the future, just trying to preserve these axles just a litttttle bit longer lol

nice, still a step up from the current ones!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

update.... Just sitting here, patiently waiting on a phone call... 

drool.jpg

Edited by Grand_Seltzer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Update time!

Well seems the first shop I dropped my beadlocks to were overly incompetent and may have actually broken one of the wheels during mounting not to mention they threw about 20-30oz of weight at them to try to get them to balance. I actually showed up to pick them up and half the weights on one were falling off onto the ground. So, decided to pull them out and have another shop handle them, and they have. I noticed the leak on the one wheel and the new shop confirmed the issue and got the rest of them balanced well within acceptable weight. It's possible a weld just failed during mounting stress but Battleborn was a class act about it and a new wheel on its way and will be here tomorrow. 

A few days after that fiasco, my son and I joined a local group for a trip into windrock to check out a special overlook. It didn't disappoint! I might have been on the smallest tires there but the Wj also never disappoints. All of them were quite impressed how much articulation I was had, but that's what you get with control arms that are 4' long and 11" shocks. Enjoy the photos, wish their was more but we did about 35-40 miles over 6 hours. 

C93bYza.jpeg

UKmg0Sl.jpeg

ncu5SLv.jpeg

5aC6wLD.jpeg

lh0v5gL.jpeg

I've got more projects than time it seems. I did get a rear diff skid from mvf, got it painted and ready to go but lost the battle to install because of serious rain as well as their rear quarter panel armor which I was procrastinating buying my nutserts for.

Also Unfortunately, I've since noticed after this last trip my front crank seal seems to be leaking... Not quite happy about that since I run $12 a quart amsoil signature in it and just don't feel right throwing stop leak at it. So, I'll probably farm out the oil leak considering everything that has to come off the front to get to it. 

I have a bit of a grumble in the front end too I think I have the parts to fix but needed to clean up the jeep after this trip before I can get it back in the air to diagnose fully. 

• Like 3

Little last week and weekend update to the build:

I got my rear quarters installed from MVF. They look great, but I still want to make a few modifications. Two of the screws that were nutserted into the body didn’t fully line up, so I’ll be clearancing the holes to fit. I’ll also be top coating the rear quarters with a gloss black paint. I’m not thrilled with how the flat black powdercoat looks over the glossy body. Finally, I’ll be running a silicone sealer around the edges to prevent any dirt from standing behind them over time.

I also did a trans service with a little upgrade. The 545rfe pan is quite exposed right in front of the front cross member. The fluid didn’t seem burnt, but I have no idea when the last trans service was done. I decided to take the opportunity to change the fluid and filters. I replaced the pan with a pan from amazon that actually had a drain bolt and it aligned with the new skid plate from Taboo Customs. 

Waiting for Josh from Bleepinjeep to drop off some of their alignment bars before I finally swap my springs for the taller ones. Then I will finally start trimming fenders to get my new wheels and tires installed.  I did test fit one of the new tires one side of the jeep and yeah, trimming needs to happen lol. 

HK has said my new rear bumper should be built within the week so hopefully I will see that sometime this month. UPS should love me if they haven't already.

I'm thinking once its on, it will make me want to do a tank tuck so I'm a little torn between a diy tuck or just ordering affordable offroads tank tuck kit. 

That's all my 2:30am brain can take for an update.

lLdzGOj - Imgur.jpg

Trans Pan.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Almost forgot, front Diff got a little love since I wanted to also check out inside to make sure noises I was hearing wasn't anything internal. But I actually bought this cover before I went into the hospital last year. Probably worth more than the Dana 30 its mounted to, but at least I'll feel a little better if I need to take out my aggression on it on the trail. 

D30 diff cover.jpg

Edited by Grand_Seltzer
Bad File
  • Like 1

i agree on those corners, the flat paint doesn't go well - solid upgrades though man, can't wait to see it with new bigger tires!

• Like 2