Curly

Changes in Dispersed camping near Sedona

The forest service is closing most of the area west of Sedona to dispersed camping and instead is setting up some designated dry camp areas.

More info here: https://www.redrocknews.com/2022/08/05/usfs-preps-to-close-camping/?fs=e&s=cl&fbclid=IwAR1SCmIME9lQkVLtyc3l9JG2RoUC3jkAnyfQKTCJKoG8TusN4YSvZwe3L-A

• Sad 2

Well that sucks. Next they'll stop camping atop Schnebly Hill...

i do understand some areas get "loved to death", i.e. over-used. there ends up being problems with litter and human waste in those areas, and sometimes even crime. however, i don't think this is the right way to deal with that problem at all. i'd prefer to see a camping fee/permit type system put in place if over-use is really a problem. that would reduce the amount of people using the area. don't take away dispersed camping completely though.

unfortunately i've heard that this is becoming a common strategy of the NFS in other areas too. it seems they want us to only see our lands from a paved road or paved walking path, probably with lots of fencing so we can't hurt ourselves. i guess we should all just get used to looking at satellite photo maps, eventually that will be the only way to "experience" the natural world.

• Sad 1