LaZorraRoja

Death wobble!

Hey y'all.  I started getting the wobbles a week or so ago. Been having a heck of a time isolating the issue. I checked control arms + track bar torque. Looked for movement in both spots and saw none. Tightened steering box bolts at frame to 99 lbs. Saw a little bit of play in the drag link end at the pitman arm and (I think) tightened it to 105lbs (hard to reach and used a crow's foot). Rotated the tires. Checked tire pressure. 

21 Mojave, 28k miles. 

What am I missing? 

Just had it aligned last week hoping that would fix it but it didn't. 

Trying to remember if it started before or after I had the dealer replace the leaking hydraulic bump stop. 

• Sad 1

with the rig running, center the steering wheel, then have someone "rock" it back and forth slowly just a couple degrees to each side of center while you touch each end of each steering piece and feel for a click or pop or slight movement. touch the drag link, track bar, tie rod and pitman arm. you should be able to isolate which TRE's or bushings/joints are going bad.

beyond that - the ball-joints, control arm bushings, unit bearings, and steering stabilizer can also all play a role in deathwobble, but less so than the track-bar and steering linkage usually.

also, did yours come with the aluminum housed steering gear box that they were swapping out for free?

Edited by theksmith

I'll try that and also see if I can get any movement with a crowbar at the different joints. 

I also saw someone on a tube video recommending maximizing the toe in at the shop so I can try messing with that some more I guess. Currently they're smack in the middle of the "green zone" on my Firestone report.

I checked with a tape measure last night (very hard to do solo) and it seems to be within the 1/8" toe range. 

Mine doesn't have the aluminum steering box.

Everything is solid underneath... Checking the alignment it was exactly the same front to back so we moved it toe in about 3/16 and now I think all that's left is a tire balance issue..I think. I hope!

Have you verified that the steering damper is good?   They were installed OEM, to be the damper to control "axle tramp" (*), and are required on ALL live front steered axles, unless some other form of hysteresis is designed into the system, (such as the earlier closed knuckle Dana axles who's hysteresis was managed through shimming the kingpins to affect dampening in the system.)

(*)  AKA the event commonly referred to as "Death Wobble".

Edited by ob1jeeper

I didn't evaluate it specifically but when the truck is up on stands and the wheels are turned from beneath you can feel it working. 

There was a recall that effected the JL’s steering damper a while back. Not sure if it impacted you JT guys.

My Death Wobble issues were due to a worn TRE on the drag link. Discovered the issue using TheKSmith’s method above by having my wife rotate the steering back and forth while I laid under the Jeep and watched all the ends. The TRE had a slight up and down “pop”. Replaced it with an upgraded drag link and no more issues.

I also like this process of elimination thread in the JL Forums that I’m sure might be helpful.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-beat-death-wobble-an-algorithm-to-diagnose-the-issue.62313/

Taking it to get balanced today. Pretty sure it was just the alignment because things that would have caused severe death wobble no longer do and now it just feels like there's a tire out of balance between 50-75mph.

• Like 1