shellback91

Loud Clicking Drivers Side Dash

I am hearing a loud clicking from behind the drivers side dash area of my rig. It started today.   The key is Off and out of the ignition when this happens. It seems to happen every few minutes just sitting there all the time. It t only happened once when I started it but no other time.  I pulled the glove box and waited for the noise, nothing from that area. The recirculation actuator motor deal was replaced a couple of years ago.  This noise sounds like that. But I start up the Jeep and cycle through various settings and hear nothing.

I am perplexed, no other issues are happening except for this. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by shellback91
  • Wow 1

Sounds like a blend door motor.  You can hear a similar sound in the first seconds of this video. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Curly!  I was also searching, finding nothing until I posted it here. Within 5 minutes of posting I found 2 videos, including that one. Go figure. Now I feel like a dumb a!@. 😐

At any rate, I went out and stuck my fat hand on the blend door actuator/motor and waited for the sound and I could feel that part clicking along. It is weird that it even does it with the key off. It is annoying at best so I am going to get that issue fixed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shellback91 said:

It is weird that it even does it with the key off.

It could be that the computer is trying to find the "home" or '0' position so that it knows where the door is.  A lot of electronic modules do not got to sleep right away when the key is turned off or door closed.  Just a guess on my part.

• Like 3

Everything Tim said is spot on with what I experienced with my wife’s 2014 Grand Caravan.

The clicking in her van would happen several times over a few minutes after the key was off and then again after you initially started the vehicle.

The actuator motor I replaced was the drivers side blend door that directed air flow to the floor vents.  Fairly easy access except for working around the accelerator pedal.

One note.  I had a friend at work print me out the service manual page that dealt with the motor replacement.  
The procedure showed “calibrating” the new actuator motor with a scan tool after replacement.  I found this step to be unnecessary.  

After replacement I could hear the blend door sealing closed and had good air flow when it was in the open position.  Just my .02

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

there are 2 other actuators that can go bad in the JK climate system too. the blend door actuator is part #68018109AA and available as a genuine Mopar replacement or cheaper from Dorman.

here's video on how to get at the blend door actuator:

i took my old one apart when it went out... a single broken gear tooth inside was causing all the ruckus.

ACtC-3d2emkiNO4BbVLaUDsJw9zqkaBeij4cMDku

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1