just got back from Alaska, and a highlight of the trip was the all-day backcountry tour we did where we drove a couple of Argo 8x8 Conquest 950 Outfitter series rigs with aftermarket tracks.

AJFCJaVp99ihO8uDwgz2m4Hf8kwFS-WlcmTOhLTm

the adventure was through Destination Alaska Charters, a family business in Homer. the owner Scott was our main guide, along with one of his employees, Timmy. we got to do all the driving though.

AJFCJaWaVA2xJ4gEuqPIYvPTh_gkAeX6H6oiCw_B

this part of Alaska in the summer is primarily really wet mud. often where there's grass or brush, there's still insanely deep mud waiting just an inch below the surface - found as soon as you step or drive there.

AJFCJaVAuA1yfCMvtlqgYrhUz5HnGMp8RW700u-o

AJFCJaXo3h5nVe9_ca_WN6A380HlW8qPwfYh9MXk

even 6x6 side-by-side rigs get stuck easily here. but this is where the fully sealed, smooth bottom, high-floatation Argo's excel. they aren't very fast (maybe 11mph max), but they churn through muck and can float in rivers. they even have built-in bilge pumps! 

with the optional tracks installed, the 8x8s are *nearly* unstoppable. we did manage to need the winches a couple times though!

the Argos have a hybrid skid-steer type system that is a bit sensitive and takes some getting used to. there's a normal looking handlebar, but turning it actually engages brakes on either side so you get sort of a tank steering effect. 

AJFCJaWCb4XOxV5mnzzrVz5MWcSMKLcblgBXwpne

we didn't manage to find any wildlife besides ptarmigans, but we did see fairly recent tracks from a moose with 2 calves and some huge prints from a bear that seem to be tracking them.

this tour was expensive, but IMO totally worth it to experience driving a unique type of rig in one of the most scenic areas of the country.

and for those that know me, i'm sure you're wondering... no i didn't wear my trail flops as they provide these suave waders instead!

AJFCJaXVJ6RQdZTM6ZkGD70iOcNm7a90GkNkfj5D

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 8
  • Love 2

Thats a lot of muddiness for a guy that doesn't like mud!!! LOL

Edited by 4WLNRN
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, 4WLNRN said:

Thats a lot of muddiness for a guy that doesn't like mud!!! LOL

mud is fun as long as i don't have to do the cleanup and it's not my rig getting stained for life!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Looks like a good time to say the least. Alaska in on my bucket list of places to visit. More than a few places to check out up there.

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 2

That looks so fun!! Crazy how the surface looks fine but can break through so easy into feet of mud and water!  Having flashbacks to our quicksand experience up here in Prescott area!   By the way love your mud gear.  a new look for the trail?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fun!! What a unique adventure.

• Like 2