Ladybug

And we shall call her Millie.

Accessory's continued...

Tailgate table - "Front Runner"

IMG_3929.JPG

IMG_3932.JPG

We have a few more accessory's to add, however, with the advent of monsoonal humidity, AND my workspace being cooled only by a evaporative "swamp-cooler", I've elected to wait for the weather to break a bit before tackling the rest of Ms Millies "want-list"...  ;)

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 5

A few more accessory's installed, prior to our 1st camping trip in Millie, scheduled for next week.  

Carpeting and OEM tiedown's removed, then 3/4" Plywood load floor fabricated with OEM fasteners from removed flooring used to mount of the load-floor, from which the fridge slide (and any future needed tie-downs) without drilling into the vehicle body.

Also note the shovel attachment using the hitch for support.

IMG_4185.thumb.JPG.08e02225a49ee4aa181d2504ad9635c9.JPG

Also fabricated brackets to mount "necessary paperwork" hangers.   I used a 3/8-16 tap to "carefully" (did NOT want to break a tap here) cut threads for studs to be inserted into the un-used rear shoulder belt anchor bung, for use as the mounting base.  The bungee between the two is used as a towel/washrag hanger 

IMG_4186.thumb.JPG.3de2039c357cf2d75d82d0f1519161cb.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 3

Also need to carry water, and with a desire to not cut the vehicle for permanent fixtures/changes, I opted for the spare tire mount system offered by RockSlide.   The can holder is a "Wavian 20L front loading jerrycan bracket".   Warning - These are actually designed for NATO shaped cans !   They need to be modified for the std. "Jerry can" shaped fuel cans (including the Scepter shown here).

In order to use these Wavian holders for our Scepter water jugs (same shape as std 5-gal jerry cans),  I cut the side brackets off the back mounting base, then re-purposed them as bottom brackets.  Then I also removed all the "insulator pads" that were in place from Wavian.

(note):   After the mods I made, they will also fit most styles of 5-gal "jerrycans", but if used with the NATO cans, some of the removed insulators may need to be re-installed.

IMG_4190.thumb.JPG.cab49062c03108416ec01b30f3ed1bda.JPG

A little more about the shovel mount...   IMG_4193.thumb.JPG.25ca9fd464d198e9e004ad6789cb486d.JPG

The stinger which is inserted into the hitch was modified with an internal 5/8-11 nut welded internally, so a 5/8-11 bolt could be used to preclude rattles.

To positively secure the shovel, I drilled the metal shank to accept a 5/16" bolt, which was then welded to the angel-iron cradle, then used a flanged nut to secure it, and shaved the bolt to length to reduce the potential of becoming gored by the bolt.

The shovel handle end is secured with tarp-bungee's, and both ends are insulated with adhesive backed nap from a velcro kit to help prevent rattles.

I also fabbed a "hand tighten" socket-wrench using an older socket welded to a large washer.  It is painted red, and secured to the interior with velcro.

IMG_4192.thumb.JPG.d1818f3ab0b92117d00edae0a4dabf84.JPG

IMG_4194.thumb.JPG.e0a8c6f0ba2e282a5f5af0a9c2816ba4.JPG

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 2

More on the Wavian can holder mods. 

Relief cut for spigot clearance on our Scepter water can.

IMG_4197.thumb.JPG.3bd2628f9d47696fb55c882948a82348.JPG

Side brackets removed, then repurposed to bottom.    NOTE:   when moving these brackets to the bottom, they need to be bent to a right angle, as in OEM form, they are approx 115-120 deg angled, as shown in the photo after this one.

IMG_4199.thumb.JPG.2c95b7c4e75199b105c0fb6a2571fcc3.JPG

As purchased Wavian mount shown with "NATO" style fuel can.

IMG_4202.thumb.JPG.47e12f2bccf48aaed1e6857fcbe4a1f1.JPG

There are several of these insulator pads on the new as-purchased Wavian can holders.   In order to fit the Scepter & std. jerry cans, many of these need to be removed, OR be willing to ask a gorilla to insert/remove them for you...   LOL

IMG_4204.thumb.JPG.94e62340351783dcdfe54b490a8e13e1.JPG

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 2

all good mods!

i have to ask, why not just use a wing nut on that shovel hold-down bolt?

15 minutes ago, theksmith said:

all good mods!

Maybe more theft resistant?

You have to remember, Steve spent time in Detroit.  🤣.    That does change one’s perspective.

Edited by jgaz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, theksmith said:

all good mods!

Because of the location, I didn't want to loose skin, or get impaled, if it became necessary to crawl into the back.   The exiting got a little tricky, trying to scoot around it without snagging myself, so I decided to at least make it so that it would only hurt, but not gore me...   

But this temp location will go away when I get sufficient time to move it to another location...   (Along with the fuel and water cans).   ;)

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 1