mesach

For those of you in the really hot climates have a you experienced this?

I was out in Palm Springs for a week and on the last day there when I left after getting a date shake at shields dare garden, as I was leaving the parking lot I had to go over the transition and the Jeep took it well, with the usually swaying back and forth from the angle I was at, but the TCS system barked at me and scavenged power for a second, then as I was driving down the road about 2-300ft away it did it again on flat pavement and then threw an error light along with the ABS light.

I pulled over and shut off the Jeep and restarted it and the lights went away so I didn’t think anything of it, but after about a mile it did it again but this time when I shut off and restarted it stayed on, cruise wouldn’t work but I figured it would be OK for the ride home since I HAD to get home, so I went to dinner and parked it in the shade and when I came out after eating the light was still on, but it all went off before I could get out of the restaurant parking lot, so I figure it’s all good.

I’m wondering if this was because of the heat for some reason and if any one in PHX or similar has experienced something similar. The Jeep had been sitting in the sun I ran for about 5 days and I had been sitting in the Jeep cooling it off while waiting for my girlfriend was doing something, so I was sitting there for about 20 min waiting, then we drove to get the date shakes which was about 20 minutes away from the hotel. Everything else looked good, trans temp and coolant temp were in normal ranges (actually lower than I thought it would have been for 110F.

haven’t experienced anything since being home for two weeks, does anyone think I should get this checked out as a preventative measure?

It sounds like a flaky wheel speed sensor. If both the ABS and ESC (jeep over squiggles) light are on, it is almost always a failed wheel speed sensor. When that happens the computer disables cruise control. Usually they fail outright but based on our description it might be an intermittent failure, possibly a loose connection or a wire starting to break.

All your other circumstances are probably coincidental. Either something bumped or snagged the wheel speed sensor (common) or you flexed and the wire rubbed something it shouldn't have. Sometimes the WSS wires can come off their flex guides and then get snagged. (not uncommon). 

Upside it's a cheap repair.

Do you have a OBDII scanner tool? These kind of errors will be stored in the computer's memory for later review, possibly including which WSS it is. If you do not have a OBDII scanner, I recommend an OBDLink MX+. I carry one with me as part of my regular toolkit. It works with a free app on your phone to query the Jeep's various computers and report findings, including self cleared issues like your flaky WSS. Aside, you can also use the MX+ to manage your Jeep's computer settings (tire size, etc...) and clear stored trouble codes.

You can also run other to any auto parts store and they should be able to use their scanner to pull the codes for you.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, SonoranWanderer said:

It sounds like a flaky wheel speed sensor. If both the ABS and ESC (jeep over squiggles) light are on, it is almost always a failed wheel speed sensor. When that happens the computer disables cruise control. Usually they fail outright but based on our description it might be an intermittent failure, possibly a loose connection or a wire starting to break.

All your other circumstances are probably coincidental. Either something bumped or snagged the wheel speed sensor (common) or you flexed and the wire rubbed something it shouldn't have. Sometimes the WSS wires can come off their flex guides and then get snagged. (not uncommon). 

Upside it's a cheap repair.

Do you have a OBDII scanner tool? These kind of errors will be stored in the computer's memory for later review, possibly including which WSS it is. If you do not have a OBDII scanner, I recommend an OBDLink MX+. I carry one with me as part of my regular toolkit. It works with a free app on your phone to query the Jeep's various computers and report findings, including self cleared issues like your flaky WSS. Aside, you can also use the MX+ to manage your Jeep's computer settings (tire size, etc...) and clear stored trouble codes.

You can also run other to any auto parts store and they should be able to use their scanner to pull the codes for you.

I did pick up an OBDLink MX+ since they must have updated something and my MX and LX dont work anymore so I donated them the other day, when I pulled the codes, it did pull C1032 which was the right rear wheel speed sensor signal erratic performance so it sounds like you are correct on the assessment.

Now the interesting thing is, I just got new tires yesterday and while they were off I took a look at the right rear and couldn't see anything (don't know exactly where the sensor is located, but nothing looked amiss, I was mainly looking because ever since I got my front end rebuilt about 3 years ago i've had a scraping sound that to me sounds like its coming from the right rear (open windows in a parking garage, the echo sounds like its coming from that direction), to me it sounds like the brake shield is scraping on the rotor as its going around or possibly a cable ( I think it makes more noise when turning left? I'd have to go drive it around again I don't drive as much as I used to since I WFH now) but when they had the wheels off, nothing looked like it was scraping or was loose or anything.

I do have to get the rear brakes done soon, so I'll have them look into the scraping (if anyone here is in SoCal, I do NOT reccomend Orange Coast Jeep I don't think that they actually do all the work they say they do) and replace the wheel speed sensor at the same time.

Thanks SonoranWanderer

• Like 1

Digging on your code, it's like the sensor itself is failing and likely needs replacing. But before you go replacing it, make sure you have all your tires running the same cold-measured tire pressure. Significantly different pressures could result in enough spin differential to trip up the WSS self checks. Also check that the the plug connection to the sensor is solid and locked and then trace the wire out of the sensor and make sure it looks Ok.

Maybe you already found this but here is a walkthrough of replacing the right rear sensor.  Also useful for seeing exactly where the connection, parts, and wires are located. He does the work on the ground with wheel still mounted so this is a driveway/garage repair if you want to do that yourself. It would obviously be easier if you could get the Jeep up on a rack. Makes me miss the days when I could rent a garage bay with lift rack on base in Florida ($2/hr in 1991/2).

• Like 2