sunroom73

Double Cardan Driveshaft Rebuild

I'm rebuilding the double cardan joint on my front WJ driveshaft for the first time and overall things are going smoothly. The re-assembly is definitely easier than the dis-assembly!

I have a question about if a seal is needed on the surface shown with the red arrows below. I know the ball-centering yoke (first pic) has needle bearings, a spring, and a seal. I think the ball contacts the surfaces with green arrows, so I plan to apply grease to those surfaces shown with green arrows, but it seems like a seal is needed to keep it clean. 

These are the parts I ordered from Amazon for reference:

Spicer 211544X Socket Yoke Assembly

Spicer 5-1310X U-Joint Kit
Spicer 2-86-418 Seal

Amazon recommended the seals because others order them too, but when I disassemblED the driveshaft there was no seal present, which may be why it had failed in the first place. Maybe the seal fell off...?

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

yes, there should definitely be a boot attached at the red arrow. and the part number you listed is what it should look like. i can't say for certain that is the right one as they would all look the same, only differing by the internal diameter (depending on the joint size). 

EDIT: this listing is for that same part number you mentioned and does say it's for a 1310, so that looks correct.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1

Thanks! I read through some of reviews with pictures and could see how it gets installed, so looks like it's the right one. 

• Like 1