ChubbyUnicornAZ

Torque Specs - Crazy Inconsistencies

Posted (edited)

I have been reading for a long time about JLs having a lot of Death Wobble issues even when they are bone stock. For me in the 26 years of owning Jeeps that always been either an alignment issue, worn out joint or a torque issue.  A friend of ours has a 2019 JL with only 11k miles on it.  It is bone stock and has always had Death Wobble.  It's been to the dealer multiple times and they say it's all to spec but it still happens.  They brought it over yesterday and I started checking the lower control arms first and none were above 100 ft-lbs.   Started lower to see where it was at and all the lower and upper control arms were at 80ft-lbs, and this was 2 days after being at the dealership for the 3rd time.  Weeks ago after getting my Jeep and seeing all the random torque numbers flying around on various forums I called a buddy of mine who is a tech at a dealership and he gave me a list of all the torque specs he has.  Some of the specs are nuts, especially on the rear.  So I kept digging and found the following info from various sources all stating these to be the factory JL torque specs.  Some are so far off it's scary.  Does anyone have a JL Haynes Manual?  I'm curious to see what it says.  I've always gone off the Haynes manual since my first TJ.  I have the manuals for TJ and JK but not the JL yet.  I'm going to be doing my Metalcloak lift later this month and it says to torque to factory specs but according to this table below, these are all Factory Specs.  lol

151459214_JeepJLTorqueComparison.thumb.PNG.81703bb8f52a81c0ca43b2ff94c79d19.PNG

This led to lookup the recommended torque specs for various bolts to see what might line up.  Seems very little matches the recommended bolt specs.  Keep in mine for the chart below that these are the bolt diameters, not the Wrench/Socket size like the above chart.  Most of the bolts on the Jeep suspension are M12-16.  
2028035548_RecommendedTorque.PNG.fcef51d821c82bcd5a0d8457879baef8.PNG

Anyone have any info to add to this?

Edited by ChubbyUnicornAZ
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve got a list from Clayton that I can post up later tonight after I scan it.

I’ve been following those specs for a few years now and only had an issue with the axle-side front trackbar bolt. I don’t believe they’ve got enough Uggahduggahs on it as I had some minor DW starting around 45mph.

I had it in to our good buddy Joe over at @OnPointOffroad and they torqued it down to whatever spec sheet they have and the problem went away.

JLWranglerForums also has a comprehensive spec sheet from Jeep themselves that I refer to from time to time.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/complete-torque-values-for-jeep-jl-wrangler/

Edited by 4x4tographer
  • Like 2

I replaced the Haynes column with the relevant info from the JL Wrangler Forum.  Still doesn't seem to match up.  For instance:

Front Lower Control Arm (Axle) - Mopar says 190ft-lbs.  JL Forum says 140ft-lbs + 145*
So lets assume then that 140ft-lbs + 145* is 190ft-lbs

then

Rear Lower Control Arm (Axle) - Mopar says 185ft-lbs.  JL Forum says 100ft-lbs + 60*

I don't see how 100ft-lbs + 60* could be only 5ft-lbs less than 145ft-lbs + 145*

I think I'm going to just go with the recommended torque specs for the bolt in use based on Industry standards and go from there. lol

• Like 1