Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Kingman Trails September 2010 Picture Thread

Story continued from above: On the Sleeping Princess trail there are 2 optional washes you can take that loop back to the main trail, which are named the 'Bob Miller Extension' and 'Hell's Half Mile'. Here we are after exiting the 1st Extension and about to enter the 2nd Extension:

DSCN4295.JPG

We couldn't remember the name of the 2nd extension, so we were referring to it as the 'Hairy' Half Mile. I asked everyone it they thought it was 'Harry Half Mile' or 'Hairy Half Mile', and after running it, they all resoundingly agreed on the later. Here are some pictures from the 2nd Extension which is really called 'Hells Half Mile':

DSCN4296.JPG

Discussing the line:

DSCN4298.JPG

Scotty Up the boulder:

DSCN4302.JPG

Next obstacle:

DSCN4303.JPG

Next:

DSCN4310.JPG

The last obstacle is a V-Notch that Number 7 had a hard time with [winched off] last time we were there. Regardless of the fact that the reason was he forgot to engage the rear OX locker, George didn't take Clifford on Hell's Half Mile. Too bad, because here's Russ negotiating the same V-Notch successfully:

DSCN4313.JPG

And then we discovered a new Up & Over By-Pass, which Clifford would have been fine on. Oh well, that's why there's a next time.

Here's thekdude on the Up & Over lookin' like a denizen of the deep:

DSCN4320.JPG

DSCN4321.JPG

Continued

V

V

V

After exiting Hell's Half Mile we took the main trail almost to the top where we stopped for lunch in a saddle overlooking the river valley.

DSCN4330.JPG

Lake Mojave in the background:

DSCN4332.JPG

And then it was on to the top and otherside of the mountain.

DSCN4338.JPG

George and I had never been down the otherside, so we decided to go that way. The trail is much smoother and not nearly as steep. We went past Don Laughlin's place, which is literally out in the middle of nowhere, in fact it's so far back from the road you can't really tell much about it.

DSCN4340.JPG

Don's View:

DSCN4341.JPG

Wayne knew of an old homestead at a spring that's only a couple miles down an offshoot trail and we decided to check it out. The trail gets too narrow when it gets to the spring, so we walked the last part down into a narrow canyon where we found remains of several buildings and the lush, overgrown riverbed from the spring. Among the things growing there were several pear trees, a pomagranite tree, sunflowers, thistles and mint. This would be a great place to visit during pear season, be sure to take some sacks to put the fruit in!

DSCN4345.JPG

DSCN4349.JPG

Back on the main trail on the way out to the highway we passed the Wayfarer's Inn, which is said to have had bars across the opening back in the day and used as some kind of holding cell. The spray-painted writing on the door says 'Eschew Against Dupery':

DSCN4350.JPG

The trail becomes Jurassic Road in Golden Valley, and then we turned on Egar Road to get back to Highway 68:

DSCN4355.JPG

Up next Serendipity Sunday.

V

V

V

Serendipity is by far the most difficult trail we did while we were in Kingman. Near D W Ranch Road and I-40, Serendipity is a series of obstacles in a wash with a trail along side, and several ways to exit the wash along the way. A gravel plant was recently established at the bottom; you'll see it in the background of some of the pictures.

The 1st Obstacle used to be a 'gatekeeper', because it was more difficult. Rigs were apt to get scraped along the rear passenger side up high, I saw a hardtop get cracked, and I've seen a tie rod get bent on it. But now there's a conveyor for the gravel plant right above it, and it's filled in where it used to dip in, and the only place anybody got a scratch in our group was on the passenger side rear bumper.

Here's me on the 1st Obstacle:

DSCN4360.JPG

The 2nd Obstacle is an optional Up & Over Rock to the left. Here's Russ's Jeep climbing over:

DSCN4366.JPG

My turn:

DSCN4374.JPG

Scotty:

DSCN4378.JPG

Thekdude:

DSCN4384.JPG

Wayne:

DSCN4388.JPG

Next we came to a waterfall where there were basically 3 lines you could take to get up it. Steve from W4W took the line to the Right, in the middle is basically the 'Buggy Line', and Russ Chung took the line to the Left:

DSCN4389.JPG

I took the line Steve had demonstrated:

DSCN4395.JPG

DSCN4396.JPG

And then it was Scott's turn; he took the same line as Steve and me:

DSCN4397.JPG

And by now you know that he snapped his rear driveshaft on the way up.

Continued

V

V

V

DSCN4405.JPG

We got Moose out of Scott's Jeep and tools out of Kris's Jeep. George gathered and bagged up the pieces of driveshaft all over the ground and he & Russ removed the broken driveshaft. Russ Chung emerged with a spare driveshaft for his TJ, but it was too long. Does anybody besides me wonder how he carries so much stuff in his TJ? It doesn't even really look all that full, but it seems like he's got spare parts and tools for everything!

DSCN4404.JPG

Steve, Russ and Wayne went on to finish the trail, while we decided the best thing for us to do was get Scott turned around and out to the trail along side the wash. Kris turned around in the wash and he & George stayed with Scott, while I had to take Clifford up the wash a little ways for the next exit after the waterfall.

Driving down the trail I came to a fork and started down the right until Kris said they were on the road to the left, so I backed up and went that way. Very soon it occurred to George it was the long way, just at the same time Scott came to a steep loose hill he couldn't get up in 2 wheel drive, so we turned around again. We had to give him one little tug, but Scotty made it out under his own power:

DSCN4408.JPG

So the four of us aired up, fueled up and went back to camp to pack up. We caravanned back to Phoenix to be sure we all made it okay. Here are a few pictures I got from the cab of the Dodge:

DSCN4415.JPG

DSCN4419.JPG

DSCN4420.JPG

Even though he was down-hearted about breaking, Scott couldn't have picked a better part to break or place to do it, since Serendipity is next to an easy trail and he could still drive in 4 High. When it's all said and done and everybody and their rigs get home okay, it's a good trip. Now we have a reason to go back since Serendipity is Scott's official nemisis trail.

I'd like to thank Wayne (stockjeep) for planning and hosting the trip - the camping and trailrides were really a lot of fun - Thank You Wayne! It was great to see everyone who attended - always a lot of fun to run trails and share a campfire with you guys!

Until next time!

d :rolleyes:

It was good to wheel with everyone, great time with my friends. George:cool::D:D

Great weekend, you guys and gal are the Bomb!

DSCN0965.jpg

DSCN0957.jpg

DSCN0954.jpg

DSCN0942.jpg

DSCN0939.jpg

DSCN0935.jpg

DSCN0923.jpg

DSCN0898.jpg

Sorry to hear about Scott's damage. Glad there was some knowledgeble help there for him. Russ is a Packing Jedi or a Tetris Genius because he carries so much stuff and it all still stay below the tub line. When I pack my jeep I have junk filled to the top!

Looks like it was a great time! Kudos to Wayne for a great trip!

Very nice report D!!! Scott it could have been worse, glad you made it home!

After we finished the Seredipity Trail run, Ziggy and I broke camp, loaded up the Jeep and headed to Lake Mohave. I had planned to go to Princess Cove on the Arizona side of the lake, but the road was closed by a locked gate. So we ended up at Sandy Wash Cove on the Nevada side of the lake. We arrived at the cove shortly before dark. Upon arrival, I could hear loud music coming from the shoreline somewhere north of the cove. By the time I set up camp and went to investigate, the boaters had left. Ziggy and I had the entire area to ourselves. The water was warm and the wind was calm; it was perfect for moonlit swimming.

PICT0152.jpg

According to the Bureau of Reclamation's website, the lake is 87% full. The lake level has dropped about four feet since the beginning of September. The beach at this cove is normally coarse sand, but the low water level has exposed a layer of fist-sized rocks, so entering and exiting the water in bare feet was not fun.

PICT0147.jpg

I had intended to spend a lazy day at the lake, and then go home in the afternoon, but I decided to break camp and go in search of a more barefoot-friendly beach. I checked out Nellis Cove and Seven Mile Cove, but they were also pretty rocky. I had never driven my Jeep to the area north of Cottonwood Cove (although I had been there by boat), so I decided to explore the cove at the end of Copper Mountain Road. When we arrived, I was disappointed because there was no sand; just rocks and MUD!

PICT0160.jpg

PICT0161.jpg

The next cove that is accessible by Jeep is at the end of Rockefeller Mine Road.

PICT0157.jpg

I started toward it, but after 45 minutes, we were only about half way to the cove, and we had not seen another vehicle or person since we left the highway the day before. The thought of getting stuck out there crossed my mind; there is no cell phone coverage, but I could reach the Laughlin repeater on my ham radio. The temperature was over 100º, but I had plenty of water, food, spare parts and camping equipment in the Jeep. My daughter knew we were at the lake, and that I would text her once I got back into cell phone range. But I still felt a little uneasy about going so far off the beaten path by myself, so I turned around. I'll leave the exploration of the Rockefeller Mine Road to another day when I'll have another Jeep with me. As I'll explain shortly, it was probably a good decision to turn around when I did.

I returned to Cottonwood Cove, where I saw the first people in nearly a day. I replenished the ice in my cooler and went for one last swim before heading home. I gassed up in Searchlight, NV, ate dinner at McDonald's and headed home just as the sun set. I drove a little over 200 miles to La Verne, CA and stopped for gas. We were about 30 miles from home. As I pulled into the gas station, I noticed a strange clicking sound from the left side of my Jeep. After refueling, I discovered that a bearing cap for the U-joint on my front axle was missing.

IMG_0257.jpg

Although I had spare parts and tools with me, I decided to make use of my AAA towing benefit instead of trying to replace it in the gas station parking lot. When I got home and removed the axle, I discovered that the ears on the stub shaft were slightly bent, so I installed my trail spare until I get over the sticker shock of the price of a set of new Superior alloy axles. I don't know when or where I lost the bearing cap, but I'm glad I didn't have to change it in the middle of the desert on the Rockefeller Mine Road.

Good stuff Russ, love exploring like that.

bummer on the stub shaft, but glad you didn't end up having to replace it on the trail.

just curious, how many miles did you have on that u-joint?