had not heard of the "Shocker Hitch" before - that's a neat little contraption.

did you add the angled frame pieces forming the triangle at the the tongue? i'm surprised they are only bolted-on.

• Like 1

You put that car in there just like you knew what you were doing. 😉

This was what, your second or third time trailering a car?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, theksmith said:

had not heard of the "Shocker Hitch" before - that's a neat little contraption.

did you add the angled frame pieces forming the triangle at the the tongue? i'm surprised they are only bolted-on.

Kris,
The angled tongue pieces are the removable lateral stabilizers for the main portion of the tongue (the large square tube to which the coupler is welded).

The main tube lays fore-aft, and inserts into a similar tube of sufficient size to allow the tongue to be moved fore/aft to alter the length of the tongue.   The hidden/large tube is welded into the frame crossmembers under the decking.

While only a fraction of trailer's in use, utilize this type of tongue construction, the use of this layout, is intended to both allow for adjustable tongue lengths, as well as to allow total tongue removal for compactness of storage if desired/necessary.    Not to mention becoming a pretty effective means to slow thieves down.

Perhaps the largest downside to the removal is that the removable tongue piece weighs right at 145-150 lbs, making it a huge chore to do by one's self.   Luckily, I had a small tractor with a set of forks to assist when I removed it for painting and length re-adjustment.

1 hour ago, jgaz said:

You put that car in there just like you knew what you were doing. 😉

This was what, your second or third time trailering a car?

Hi Jim,

As you surmised by the pics, I am indeed a bit of a rookie with trailers and the loading of same...   ;)

• Like 3

I really glad on the ORP Forum we aren’t having  the usual online  debate that starts anytime someone shows a vehicle strapped  down to a trailer.

Should the tie downs be straight or angled?

You have your tie downs pulling straight to an anchor point, as they should be.  
However, there is always some internet “ expert” that will argue the “fact” that the tie downs should be criss crossed in order to tie down the vehicle properly.

Thankfully, we have been spared that discussion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jgaz said:

I really glad on the ORP Forum we aren’t having  the usual online  debate that starts anytime someone shows a vehicle strapped  down to a trailer.

Should the tie downs be straight or angled?

You have your tie downs pulling straight to an anchor point, as they should be.  
However, there is always some internet “ expert” that will argue the “fact” that the tie downs should be criss crossed in order to tie down the vehicle properly.

Thankfully, we have been spared that discussion. 

Well said Jim,
There is not a single large-scale professional car-hauling company that I am aware of, which uses crossed tie downs...     Must be at lease one good reason for that...   ;) 

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 2