theksmith

B's new Jeep (2016 JK 2-door)

finally found a new rig for Brady last week, just over a month after Fiona was totalled. Brady, his friend Eric, @aimee, myself spent the weekend giving the new ride a little love to get her dialed in before B took her back up to Flagstaff.

she's a 2016 JK Sport in Granite Crystal - yes that's the same year as my JKU and the same color as it and our Grand Cherokee - we're all matchy matchy, lol!

private party sale here in Phoenix, single owner, great shape visually (other than really dirty inside and out), 95k miles on the clock, seemingly good mechanical shape. here she is right after picking her up and giving her a bath.

ABLVV85ReEzi-Jfzt5hax2Yhdykp3T8Yt-8lV-zA

ABLVV86bblL7N97MLNnN4egcIADNZ4XTBzT4GrUk

ABLVV873UImW-yJcoLXewl1Mlr72oibUdKVGaGRQ

besides the year and color coincidences, there were other signs B was fated to get this particular Jeep... the previous owner shares Brady's birthday, his name is also Chris, and we found a Talladega Nights dvd left in the stereo after we got it!

ABLVV87om9aq1TQNClRFMREPhcLqxYDODCmzvlum

she also came with what appears to be Rancho 2.5" lift coils and a rear trackbar relocation bracket, but with Teraflex bump-stop spacers and their 9550 shocks. she also has a Rough Country exhaust that has a decent mild sound.

options like factory remote start, cruise control and even power windows/locks are all welcome upgrades from Fiona!

first things first

first thing was an oil change. we checked all the other fluid levels and will change them when Brady comes home for spring break.

the only mechanical problem we could find was the rzeppa joint on the front driveshaft (at the t-case). this is a common failure with 2.5" or larger lifts on a JK.

ABLVV85OIOU-xlEo200OK3___dDoOgym7UZrMUgV

Brady just removed the front shaft for now so it wouldn't seize up on him while he's in Flag. we have a Teraflex high-angle version of the joint on order to install when he's home next. so for now the new ride will just have no 4wd.

cleaning up the exterior

first mod was getting Fiona's old wheels and tires on. we had also saved the adjustable Teraflex tire carrier from Fiona which was needed to fit the offset on those wheels. we'll still need to get a new aftermarket hinge at some point to support the weight of the 35s.

out with the old:

ABLVV87fGtMLdE8OBwWuVXw89W-XFw2v52-BoUYb

in with the new:

ABLVV85TgK7E7QRcf1Vl3kfbEgZnnFdahAqnQEZ5

we also removed the factory license plate bracket and installed his old magnetic plate/camera/3rd brake light mount. we were able to tap into the wires the existing wires for the camera and just needed to tap the passenger rear running light to power the plate light.

keeping the wiring looking clean:

ABLVV84Rbit8XyaW3I7Ur-OXIW8NVN0v71T5WBj5

the previous owner must have really liked his bullet antenna as he used a ton of red Loctite to install it. so that required a pair of vice grips and a half rotation at a time on the longest mounting stud ever created!

ABLVV84nQbApKtDB_UrVtlBkvZf4yBQrd-plc2dX

the PO had been a little rough on the freedom panels. i only had a generic black touch-up pen, but that still looked better than all the white fiberglass spots showing through.

ABLVV852YijS39rXlIWZHEBy_tLWHB4qBcnT2kwO

ABLVV84duRgibCLy2Dz2g-_lf3v3rMUWZ1bOv_Tf

the plastic cowl corner covers had to go as well. fortunately there were none of the common dents in the underlying metal. they did leave some scratches behind that we couldn't get out. i'm sure a professional buff one day will clean that up.

ABLVV85MlsQc2g33U7TI189q9hkTFjN9hF7WP5TU

we did have success reducing this big scratch on the rear quarter panel with a little rubbing compound:

ABLVV87ICZ357JGLwWkYaEOAL4DOgqO1KM8pMNdS

after:

ABLVV87dOSzPS5xjDagWVZIrDnsEfkv2uV05M7Ym

Eric and Aimee did a great job removing all the decals from the sides of the rig. we also removed a bundle of wiring for the RGB rock lights and headlight halos that the PO said no longer worked anyway.

here she was after all those changes:

ABLVV86sHv-mEJjQ_5781bGYcMZKRtXtsfCROX0R

Brady is leaving the side steps for now until he gets real rock rails. he said he also doesn't mind the front bumper but would like a smaller one eventually.

continued...

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

on to the inside

all the little things like Brady's old floor mats and grab handles were swapped in. then we got the new-to-us Sony head unit installed, thanks for that @mesach. we used a PAC RP4-CH11 wiring harness and interface module to retain the steering wheel buttons and provide a reverse output to trigger the rear camera. 

ABLVV85-D8rtl6K8bsRZugi7Tkzuz4mK1LRjhwqe

the Jeep already had headliner inserts, i think they are the Bedrug version. we swapped in some LED bulbs i already had for the overhead lights.

ABLVV86IIUMlKXhNLPIjX37GDlO2SKPCBRj1Miar

the cloth seats were the only thing we couldn't really clean up well. they need a carpet shampooer or steam cleaner. worst case if they don't come clean then B can get some covers for them.

ABLVV864AMObz45UPa8QS1Q1hYTfsRoLk2ZiW_mr

next we ran all the wiring for his sub. we decided to secure it with just a tie-down strap so that he still can easily access the jack and other storage area under the rear deck. B will have to get a black strap since all i had handy was this obnoxious orange thing!

ABLVV87Xjbv_WO5jnfqSuKOJSB7nZzF2Jr6ILXMm

here's the final pile of things we removed:

ABLVV878j1-TIZnX_Vz22RRhtzhiBpZO-5r8KIti

and how she looks now:

ABLVV84xE4kKXuZNLQRs0fwySnoN_qDKeR8jLSNw

ABLVV86sStPxX_wtmb_Sb9Xn5-0MdYOObrLwnHr_

a shot of our matched-color Jeep fleet ;)

ABLVV85O5mK7ofHYoI-fdmzgpgDz1XdHNvCptCgd

• Like 4
  • Love 4

Well Done.   SO glad to hear "B" was un-harmed...   😇 🤙

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

That’s Awesome how it all worked out. Glad the radio was an easy install, and I hope he enjoys the new ride!

BTW, am I the only one who didn’t know you could play a DVD in a head unit? 

Edit: I should note that I know you can play a DVD in a DVD head unit, but with the way KRS1 wrote it I assumed it was just a stock head unit that I didn’t think played DVDs so I was thinking that maybe it would have extra space for CD audio

Edited by mesach
  • Haha 3

I have a name suggestion. "Luddite"..... ya know, because they're anti-gadget. 😂😂😂☠️

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That's an awesome looking Jeep Fleet ya got there!! Glad B's okay and back on the road.

• Like 2

BTW, you should have let me know when you got this, because likely I still had the maestro RR and all the accoutrements, just packed it up and dropped it all off at the Amazon store on Monday, I still have the metra wiring harness because I got that from Best Buy. 

• Like 1

ABLVV84peAzCW6XhvEfnISHnFt68BU1yrEt4qiDg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I am still so very pleased that Brady is OK!   AND what a nice looking rig!  AND what a blessing that Brady has a dad and mom who love him so very much and Dad Kris -  you are just doing an awesome job!!

smiles, ladybug

• Like 3
  • Love 1

we did a quick little run on some trails out near Lake Pleasant this weekend. B doesn't have disconnects yet so had to keep it easy rated...

AP1GczPi7VtHUGtAY4eePoZoMB5kgJnjG81WLAgy

AP1GczP0ISaCnH-6JyR84VvGMpME9k-TnDBMafnt

AP1GczNsUluuHdIJMVSsqle4LUVHHp1uv6F7hBmg

• Like 4