shellback91

2/17/24: Box Canyon- Trip Report

Yesterday we ran Box Canyon from North to South,it was good to see some familiar faces and meet some new ORP members that I had not met yet. The weather was perfect for this run and it was good to get out after not running any trails for a while.

We had a good crew along for the ride. Those in attendance were:

@Zavala  @Dennis Szymanski & Mrs. Z  @Alexis  @Tim V @JEMSA

Th recent rains helped keep the dust down most all of the day which was a bonus. The rains also had the landscape alive and green which is always good to see. There were some mud holes on the trail but there were bypasses around the bigger ones. Mineral Mountain Road/trail overall is in good condition, nothing to challenging.

At 5 Points we veered of to the left to ride the ridges overlooking the area. This trail is also known as Waterfall Bypass and is the northern section of Box Canyon. TrailsOffroad has a good write up on it.  This trail has narrow ledges and some spectacular views all around. Nothing to challenging, once you make the turn 4 Low is your friend all the way across and down the switchbacks. We ran into a few groups coming in the other direction but everyone cooperated and we all managed to avoid each other, we even worked around a grouchy old man on a motorcycle that wanted to yell at us. Once down the switchbacks we made our way to the Stagecoach stop for lunch.  Everyone found a shady spot to have some grub, shoot the breeze, and enjoy the weather.

Once we finished up lunch we made our way into the best part of the trail, Box Canyon itself. On the way we managed to avoid a group of SXS drivers that decided standing in the middle of the trail and not moving was a good idea. Once in the canyon there was some traffic coming the other direction, as expected, but all groups managed to work around each other without incident.  The ride through the canyon was awesome as always.

Overall the trails are in good condition minus a little wear and tear as is the case on popular trails.

I did not have my wife/photographer with me today so I did not grab many pics,only a couple of the stagecoach stop.  ☹️

20240217_115100.thumb.jpg.484f3dfcdd0a31ec1d27d7bcf709c8a1.jpg

20240217_115125.thumb.jpg.33fb959db9c76c8f726e085357b13183.jpg

20240217_115048.thumb.jpg.bcdfed7491b749ad9468bd4d8be7a8e2.jpg

Or company at lunch.

20240217_115426.thumb.jpg.04d5c4e7066cae19e9aa9595f43babb9.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who joined me yesterday. If you have any pictures you'd like to share this is the spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

My only two photos that don’t duplicate the ones already posted!

Had a great time, enjoyed meeting the attendees, and looking forward to future trips, both day and overnights.  Thankyou!

IMG_2913.jpeg

IMG_2916.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks, Marty for a great run.  Couldn't have had better weather and a good group.  Just an aside... we found one of the best ice cream shops in AZ...we stopped in Gold Canyon at a place called Oldies Ice Cream Shop...Bluebell Ice Cream and a very generous portions at a very reasonable price...definitely worth the stop!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 4

Great pics!   Looks like a great day!

smiles, ladybug