Hello, first post!

Ok, so what I want to do is add a small battery under my seat, and have it charged by solar.  The only thing it will power is my alpicool dual 35qt fridge.  Running it full time if needed.

I picked out some parts, but unsure if it all matches and such.

Would the items I've picked work or cause a fire in my vehicle?

Thanks in advanced!  Hope to learn from you all.

Screenshot_20240319_001104_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20240319_001041_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20240319_001026_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20240319_000953_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20240319_000928_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

welcome to the site!

i don't know those brands personally, but your component selection seems to make sense. just use the minimum amperage fuse necessary on both your input and output lines. regarding the charger, I doubt anything that small would produce a ton of current - but you should double check its max charging rate versus the battery makers suggested charge current.

then the biggest concern i'd have is making sure the battery is securely mounted and the terminals covered so that nothing metal could accidentally come in contact with them and cause a dead short (which could easily cause a fire).

also, just FYI, most cigarette lighter style sockets aren't great in terms of surviving road vibrations, nor making a good low-resistance electrical connection. i'd recommend you modify your fridge's existing DC power cord to use one of those same 12v SAE connectors instead of the lighter plug. 

however, unless space or money is really tight, you might consider a pre-made battery bank instead of a custom solution. you would be getting a nicely packaged, portable unit with way more features...

your proposed battery is 640 Watt-Hours. a quality "solar generator" (i.e. battery bank with solar and wall charging, inverter, capacity gauge, etc.) with a similar capacity would run you $350 to $550:

Edited by theksmith
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, theksmith said:

welcome to the site!

i don't know those brands personally, but your component selection seems to make sense. just use the minimum amperage fuse necessary on both your input and output lines. regarding the charger, I doubt anything that small would produce a ton of current - but you should double check its max charging rate versus the battery makers suggested charge current.

then the biggest concern i'd have is making sure the battery is securely mounted and the terminals covered so that nothing metal could accidentally come in contact with them and cause a dead short (which could easily cause a fire).

also, just FYI, most cigarette lighter style sockets aren't great in terms of surviving road vibrations, nor making a good low-resistance electrical connection. i'd recommend you modify your fridge's existing DC power cord to use one of those same 12v SAE connectors instead of the lighter plug. 

however, unless space or money is really tight, you might consider a pre-made battery bank instead of a custom solution. you would be getting a nicely packaged, portable unit with way more features...

your proposed battery is 640 Watt-Hours. a quality "solar generator" (i.e. battery bank with solar and wall charging, inverter, capacity gauge, etc.) with a similar capacity would run you $350 to $550:

Ah I have an ecoflow, but was hoping to go cheaper.

The only function of the battery would be to power the fridge, and use my ecoflow for other things, like powering my heated blanket, diesel heater, electric stove, electric kettle and such, so I don't have to move my fridge at all.

• Like 1