shellback91

Ouray 2024 Club Run-Trip Report

Posted (edited)

The gang and I completed some pretty cool trails in Ouray this week. There was scenery for days, interesting trails, good company, and some cool ruins to check out. There are a lot of spurs all over the place off the main trails. My plan for next time is to check some of those out while revisiting the main trails. Except for A-hole SXS drivers thinking it was the last lap of the Daytona 500 both days every other rig we encountered cooperated for the most part.

We had 3 no shows on this run with no updates from those folks unfortunately.

Tuesday 7-2 attendees were:

@DanJL @Mick Bowers @Micely @Mike and Kristen Inkrott  @DanT (Now known as Telluride)

We started out our day heading towards Silverton to get to San Juan County Road 2. We used this trail to make our way to Animas Forks. Along the way @Mike and Kristen Inkrott's pup got sick so they had to turn around and head back to town. ☹️ This trail overall was Easy with nothing challenging until I decided to take a spur trail named Maggie Gulch. This trail is narrow and did not look too traveled. I wanted to get to the water falls but it did not look to friendly to our rigs past the water crossing so I turned everyone around, not very gracefully mind you, and headed back out.

We made it to the Animas Forks ghost town and spent some time checking out the old homes and cabins. It is always fun to walk around these places seeing how the miners and their family's lived. They were some hearty folks to eek out a living up here and survive the winters. I could not imagine doing it.

From there we made our way west across the California Pass trail cruising through the California Gulch. We stopped and had lunch at the start of the switchbacks that climb up to the pass. After lunch we kept heading west and wound our way to the summit which sits at 12,898 ft. There was not enough room for all of us to stop and take pics here, I did try but we could not fit with the other vehicles that were already there. This was the same situation across the next two passes.

The Hurricane Pass trail was next. The summit sits at 12,726 ft.. Nothing challenging across here, more epic scenery and some shelf road sections as we made our way across.

The final trail was Corkscrew Pass, the summit sits at 12,234 ft. Nothing challenging across here, more epic scenery and some shelf road sections as we made our way across slowly making it back into the treeline. The bonus on this trail was a couple of restrooms with some pretty killer views if only they had windows. We stopped at both of course because why not. I failed to take pictures of those so I am looking forward to seeing what the group came up with.

Thanks to everyone who came out with my wife and for these trails, we had a blast. Here is a link to my pictures which do the area no justice, you have to see it in person. It was hard to thin out our pile of pics so I picked my favorites.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gzesDtqsgMu2tVx68

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

Wednesday 7-3 attendees were:

@DanJL @Micely @DanT AKA Telluride

They finally opened the Badge of Honor trails Ophir and Imogene Tuesday afternoon. They must have known how important this group is and wanted to avoid pissing us off  I presume. 🤣

We started on the Ouray side of Ophir Pass and made our way towards Telluride.  Ophir Pass sits at 11,789 feet. The weather was perfect and we had clear sky's all day. There were a few water crossings closer to the town of Ophir, narrow shelf roads all the way across but no major pucker factor obstacles to deal with. Visibility was good which allowed us to see well ahead and prepare for any oncoming traffic coming uphill, which as most of know has the right of way.(This comes into play on Imogene) We had to maneuver around a few groups on the way down,everyone cooperated and we all got around each other on the narrow shelf road sections. All in all an easy trail with some great scenery along the way, definitely worth a revisit.

Once we got past the town of Ophir we wound up at CO HWY 145. We crossed the highway and grabbed Illium Road trail. This was just a hard packed forest road that I decided to take up to Telluride, it was kinda boring but I wanted to stay off pavement as long as possible so we did not have to air back up. We came out near the airport and headed to Telluride to grab Imogene Pass.

Now came the fun part, Imogene Pass which sits at 13,138 ft. This trail is freaking awesome is my summation. It has plenty of challenges(Steep Climbs, Narrow Shelf Roads, stupid drivers etc.) to keep you on your toes all the way across. You have to pay attention all the way across was my take away. Starting in Telluride you should use 4 Low, at least I did. The fun starts right off the bat at the trailhead with a long, narrow, and steep climb out of town. The views from here are pretty damn cool. We did have to work around other rigs coming the other direction, including a couple of tour group rigs. Once we cleared the tree line we stopped for a much needed break and lunch at the Smuggler Union Mine ruins. The views here did not suck at all either.

Once we finished lunch we kept on truckin' towards the summit with a stop at the Tomboy Town site ruins. There are several off shot trails and "round about" trails here which got me a little confused(Not for the first or last time today sadly) but I eventually figured it out. We made our way to the summit after climbing some narrow shelf roads and working through some switchbacks where a group of folks forgot uphill has the right of way. We all maneuvered with some some spotting and patience around this group. It was tight, folding in mirrors tight. The climb up was awesome and well worth it. The views are never ending from here. we spent some time up top taking pictures and trying to breathe due to the lack of oxygen, or maybe i am just too fat and elevation is not my friend.

Once done gawking we made our way to the trails end. There is an optional obstacle just past the summit which has a bypass. Finding it boogered me up for a minute but I figured it out. The rest of the way was more of the same, narrow roads, bumpy sections, some slow going because of terrain, wet roads which was nice, and a ton of water crossings. Towards the end of the trail a few of us needed a spot getting up a rock obstacle that was wet and slippery. Lockers were engaged and Telluride helped spot us. The last bit of this trail has some obstacles to climb which added to the fun factor of this trail. There is a cutoff that runs up to Yankee Boy Basin trail that avoids these obstacles but I wanted to run the entirety so I passed up that cut off.

At the end we caught Yankee Boy Basin and headed back into town.

Cliff Notes: An awesome day with some good/fun challenges. I will do this trail again.

Here's a link to a few of my favorite pictures from the day.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/22FcmTterKZKPtfY8

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

One funny thing to mention is my wife gained the nickname of Marmot thanks to @DanT. 🤣 The marmot's were out in force this week and she spotted them and called them out both days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Marty, 

We’er home and fine.  Thank you for getting this done. It was perfect! 
Mick n Bobbie 

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

nice pictures.

Looks like you guys had alot of fun

• Like 1

This was a bucket list level trip, and many thanks to Marty & Stephanie for making the plans and taking the lead. It was unfortunate that a canine medical issue interrupted our fun, but what we saw was amazing enough to make us want to go back. Shout out to “Telluride” Dan for his help as sweeper on the trails.  It was great to meet new ORP friends, and thankfully the pup in question has made a full recovery.  🙂

Mike & Kristen

• Like 1
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, Mick Bowers said:

Marty, 

We’er home and fine.  Thank you for getting this done. It was perfect! 
Mick n Bobbie 

I think it was nice of my brother to participate in the parade! 😆

• Haha 1

We made home to hell errrrrr Phoenix.  Holy 💩 it's hot. 🥵

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike and Kristen Inkrott said:

This was a bucket list level trip, and many thanks to Marty & Stephanie for making the plans and taking the lead. It was unfortunate that a canine medical issue interrupted our fun, but what we saw was amazing enough to make us want to go back. Shout out to “Telluride” Dan for his help as sweeper on the trails.  It was great to meet new ORP friends, and thankfully the pup in question has made a full recovery.  🙂

Mike & Kristen

Thanks for coming up! I'm glad the pup is doing better.

• Like 3

Fantastic write up and great photos @shellback91! Sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Imogene looks amazeballs.

I feel ya on the breathing. I have a hard enough time my first day or two in Flagstaff 😅

How’d everyone’s rigs do up there at elevation?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1