shellback91

Ouray 2024 Club Run-Trip Report

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

Fantastic write up and great photos @shellback91! Sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Imogene looks amazeballs.

I feel ya on the breathing. I have a hard enough time my first day or two in Flagstaff 😅

How’d everyone’s rigs do up there at elevation?

Thanks Ryan, I tend to yammer on so there may have been too much. I was just so damn excited. 🤣

Imogene is amazeballs! Windy as hell but  the views and the trail getting up are second to none so no complaints. I'll be happy to show of my BOH. lol

Out of the group no one mentioned anything to me but you do notice a little loss of power being so high up.  OB1 explained it to Mick and I but there was math and, well I'll leave it there. 😁

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Super trip! Thank Marty for organizing it! We had a ball! Looking forward to meet you all again on the next one.

• Like 4

On 7/5/2024 at 7:32 PM, shellback91 said:

The bonus on this trail was a couple of restrooms with some pretty killer views if only they had windows. We stopped at both of course because why not. I failed to take pictures of those so I am looking forward to seeing what the group came up with.

😂 

DSCF0231 (1).jpeg

DSCF0250 (2).jpeg

• Like 4

Ryan,

After 9,000 ft that Toyota V8 started to feel like a 6 cylinder. 😅

• Haha 4
  • Wow 1

The Trip to Ouray was awesome! It was really nice to be out with everyone. Special thank you Marty for putting it together and making it happen. Also thanks to Telluride Dan for tail gunning. I was grinning Imogene opened just in time it was Amazing!!!🤩 

IMG_8804.jpeg

IMG_8808.jpeg

IMG_8717.jpeg

IMG_8715.jpeg

IMG_8704.jpeg

IMG_8699.jpeg

IMG_8693.jpeg

IMG_8690.jpeg

IMG_8673.jpeg

IMG_8665.jpeg

IMG_8652.jpeg

IMG_8634.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Thanks everyone for sharing your adventure. That part of Colorado is the reason I own a Jeep. I've been going there at least once a year since 2016. Heck I might have even tried to hook up with you guys some for this one, but my jeep is down at the moment as I'm doing some upgrades. This area was much more enjoyable before the side-by-side evasion. It was primarily Jeeps and an occasional ATV. Thanks again for sharing, it's certainly motivational.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, carnivorous said:

Thanks everyone for sharing your adventure. That part of Colorado is the reason I own a Jeep. I've been going there at least once a year since 2016. Heck I might have even tried to hook up with you guys some for this one, but my jeep is down at the moment as I'm doing some upgrades. This area was much more enjoyable before the side-by-side evasion. It was primarily Jeeps and an occasional ATV. Thanks again for sharing, it's certainly motivational.

If I have not said it before or yet welcome to ORP, if I have I'll say it again! :welcome:

I am going to try and get there again next year sometime if not in 2026 for the 4th of July. I have already started hunting down lodging.  Irresponsible SXS drivers ruin it for the responsible ones sadly.

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome Marty. Now that I have discovered the introductions section, I will have to get over there and introduce myself. Thanks, Kevin, for the like.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, here is a mini report from Telluride - trust me - these last few days I could write a book on.

Did two more days of off-roading. On the final day, doing Engineer Pass via Mineral Springs (a much more difficult trail), as I was finished with the more difficult area, met up with a young lady a basic street car doing the trails and she was about to say goodbye to her vehicle (and maybe hello to injuries) if she did not turn around. She was following Google, and it told her this was a shortcut to Ouray! (I cant tell you how many times Google maps has scre*ed me). Luckily I had extra gas on the back of the jeep - but this idiot left his keys for the gas tanks at his hotel! Found a siphon hose (at least I had that!) and emptied into her tank. Had her turn around and follow me out through Engineer pass. Going down the LAST ROUGH ROAD and guess what! Yep, flat tire. Had help with a couple other off-roaders and replaced the tire. Followed me out to Lake City, but about 5 miles before that, front U joint went out. SAME EXACT TRAIL DID THIS TO ME TWO YEARS AGO! Anyhow, turned off 4WD and continued. Once I was assured she was safe, and she had a way to get the tire replaced (she had to go all the way to Denver - but NO WAY on a spare mini tire!), headed towards Telluride. Got just outside of Montrose and the Jeep overheated! Next to no antifreeze in the system. Again lucky that I had that fluid in the back of my jeep (if you see the back of my jeep - I come prepared - JUST NOT GAS KEYS (what a loser)). Emptied a gallon and went to the local auto parts store that closed in 15 minutes and bought two more gallons. Decided to stay the night in town to be safe and look at it in the light the following morning. Next to no rooms available! Finally found one, got to the hotel (it overheated again), and they overbooked! Now we were looking for a hotel again. Had to settle for a $400/night room! YIKES! Yada, yada, yada, got it to the dealership in town, they tore into it - transmission seal between the cooling system and the transmission caused both systems fail. Etc.... Etc..... $12K+ later, will be going back up this weekend to get the jeep back. Took several hours to even find a rental in Montrose for the week. Anyhow, I hope they do a good job - don't want to be on the trip back in this heat and it fails!

So, how was your week? :-)

end_times_lead_train-copy_9905588584_o (1).jpg

Edited by DanT
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 7

Wow - so sorry to hear of the vehicle troubles. That is a shocking break down story, even for us (and we drive a Land Rover)! 😂

• Like 1