Sign in to follow this  
tyche

Good Morning from Arizona

Arizona is an interesting place to live, particularly for one who comes from a state that frowns on full-sized vehicles going off-road. There are more trails out here and more places to go than I would have believed possible.

And, it's almost too late for me. I'm a retired CAD operator and one time driver and transportation coordinator who had to deal with all types of weather on all types of roads. Sun, rain, snow, wet leaves (don't laugh, they're as bad as black ice), in-town red lights every 2 blocks, out of town county roads in poor repair (and sometimes not even plowed when I took a bus out to pick up clients), gravel driveway with potholes so deep that it ate one employee's front axle, things like this led me to want to have a dependable vehicle that could handle anything.

I'm now on my fourth Jeep Wrangler. This current one is a 2010 Unlimited Mountain Edition, automatic transmission so that my wife (with 2 artificial knees and an artificial hip) would be able to drive it. It's already been off-road courtesy of a Jeep Jamboree put on by the dealership from which I purchased it (evidence of which can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/user/tycheent ) 3 months after I purchased it. This is an event they hold every year, usually in early October when the temperatures go down. Temperatures in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix Metro area in the Sonora desert) can range upwards of 115 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer. That's why this particular Jeep has air conditioning, the first vehicle I've owned that did.

Eventually, I'll be looking around for more trail driving to do, but easy stuff. I don't mind a bit of a challenge, but my wife (who I hope to convince to go with me) is a little put out by steep hills and really rough terrain. Besides, I'm not as experienced as my son who, living in New York State, likes to go mudding and thinks any hill that's less than a 45 degree angle is flat. :)

Welcome to a fellow Fountain Hills resident! There are several of us here now. Hope to see you on the trail soon! d

Glad to have you in the club. I will be looking for your jeep as I drive around Fountain Hills. George :cool::welcome:

dzJeepChic and Number7,

Thanks for the welcome. BTW the Jeep in the avatar is the one I drive. The orange color is a bit hard to miss (but I keep hoping that the AZ drivers will :D ). It's kinda the same color as some of the sands of Mars (if you've ever seen the NASA pictures). And, despite its apparent size and length, it is remarkably agile.

dig the color actually!

theksmith and peshaw48,

Thanks for the kind words.

By the way, be sure to check the calendar here periodically for trips you might be interested in. We generally rate our trips Easy, Moderate and Difficult, and try to include an explanation for the rating (i.e.: rocky sections, steep sections, etc.) so that should help you in the selection process. Enjoy! d :rolleyes:

dzJeepChic,

THANKS! I will. That was an added benefit that I wasn't expecting.