Sign in to follow this  
tyche

My past and present Jeeps

The first Jeep I owned was a little 4 cylinder Wrangler. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it.

The second one was a 2002 Wrangler X that I named Warthog, because of it's inverted dish-pan nose and the two tow hooks on the front like tusks (it also had the maneuverability and control of the A10-TII, also known as the Warthog).

attachment.php?attachmentid=478&stc=1&d=1289579706

Shown here at Red Rocks. My wife was nice enough to pose with it. We'd gotten it in Buffalo, New York, and my wife was worried about it being warm enough in the winter. Little did we know that we would have a worse problem. 2 years later we moved to Arizona, and I spent 3 years driving AZ summers (MONSOON!!!) with NO air conditioning. However, the Jeep came in useful the day that a HMMWV tour car broke down in the center east bound lane at Shae and 134th street. I towed it up hill and around a corner to get it out of traffic. Subsequently, the back of the Jeep sported the bumper sticker "Hummer Recovery Unit".

When I retired, my wife took pity on me (I know, I'm pitiful. So we got a 2008 Wrangler X and, of course, it was red (beginning to see a pattern, here?). Compared to the 2002, it was a monster. It was also a Jeep pretending to be a luxury car compared to the 2002.

attachment.php?attachmentid=479&stc=1&d=1289579706

Yes, we had it off-road, just a few months after getting it. My son came out from NYS, and proceeded to put Arizona pinstripes on it at a Jeep Jamboree that the dealership put on. Like the first one, it became the family "emergency vehicle" (I've had tow straps, first aid kit and the trucker triangle reflectors in all of them, so far). Though this one didn't warrant the award that the first one got it still served me well.

Now - the next one deserves a bit of an introduction. My wife has always liked the coppery-orange color that some vehicles have had. So, one Saturday when I took Red to the dealership (WARNING: NEVER TAKE YOUR WIFE WITH YOU WHEN YOU GO TO A DEALERSHIP TO GET A CAR SERVICED) for an oil change, I happened to notice an orange 4 door Jeep on the corner by the stop sign. We took Red in and got the service started, and she said, "Oh, let's just go take a look at it". I should have been forewarned right then, but I guess I just wasn't thinking. So, we took a look, and on the way back she said, "I wonder if . . .". At that point I obtained an ouie from the low, decorative concrete wall I was stepping over. The upshot was that we never drove Red again.

attachment.php?attachmentid=480&stc=1&d=1289579706

And that's the sad story of how we ended up with a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Mountain Edition with a color (Mango Tango) that was close to some of the sands of Mars. With that color, we obviously had to give it a good name. Mars was the Roman God of War. Ares was the Greek God that corresponded to it (and preceded it). Meet Ares. :D

Yes, we've had it off-road. The picture here was at a Jeep Jamboree 3 months after we bought it. Further evidence can be found at http://www.youtube.com/user/tycheent

Warthog.jpg.69d33cb48f31dc53261ab390a3c49295.jpg

RED.JPG.b881506a26ded2269fc5bbea73ff723b.JPG

Ares-Icon.jpg.01406656316196feec72f2dcacb864e7.jpg

Well, all of your Jeeps seem like very nice vehicles, and Ares is gorgeous! I wonder what the 'Mountain Edition' package is? Does it have any of the options available on the Rubicon or is it different from that? Thanks for posting the story and pictures, I enjoyed reading it! Diane

dzJeepChic,

Mountain Edition is mostly in trim, like the black vinyl on the hood, the decals on the hood, and the decorations on the front seats. However, it's basically an X with Sahara steps on the side, and with Rubicon tires. It also has a different axle than Red had, but I don't have the specs handy to be able to tell you what one. The best thing, from my wife's point of view, is that it's a 4 door and the color she likes. We have grandchildren, and it was difficult to get them in Red. But with the 4 doors there's no problem. Plus, with the longer wheelbase, is more comfortable riding than Red was (and WAY more comfortable than Warthog was). It also has more space in back with the rear seats up than Red had with the rear seat folded up. And, instead of fold and flip, the back of these just lays down, increasing the space right to the back of the front seats.

I found this, however I find it odd that the color of your rig is not listed in the press release but maybe they added it to the line up after it hit production:

Wrangler Mountain Edition is based on the Wrangler Sport S package, and is available on Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 models and the price for the package is $1,820.

2010-jeep-wrangler-mounta-2_180x0w.jpg

This special edition features a unique “Mountain” decal on the hood with latitude and longitude coordinates that represent an actual location relating to the “Mountain” theme of the vehicle; painted high-gloss Mineral Gray 17-inch Moab wheels, grille and bumper appliqués; tubular side steps; 32-inch tires; black tail lamp guards; and a fuel-filler door from Mopar. It is painted in Rescue Green Metallic Clear Coat, Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat or Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat.

Sitting right next to Ares, when I picked it up, was the 2 door version in the same color. I can only presume that the PR didn't get the information right. Also, not to knock the PR information, the window sticker (which I still have in my glove box) calls it a Wrangler X. I have no doubt that the Sport package was put on it, as it has the Freedom Panels (removable roof panels) which Red also had. They're nice, by the way, on those days when I can make use of them. However, being red-haired, blue eyed, and having fish-belly white skin I DO have to take some precautions about being in the sun too long, even out here where I'm NOT as susceptible to being sunburned. (New York State, being close to the Great Lakes, has moisture in the air that lenses the sun's rays, much like using a magnifying glass to burn paper). Also, unlike the PR splurb, this has the Sahara steps rather than the tubular rails (so did the 2 door one sitting next to me).

As an aside, a couple looking for a Jeep Wrangler were walking around it when I came out to get the existing mileage (25 miles) and were disappointed when I told them it was sold. However, I pointed to the OTHER side of Ares, where Red was parked so I could transfer personal items out of it, and suggested that they look at that. I know. I've heard it before. I'm a BAD BOY. (Me and Lou Costello) :D

Welcome from the other side of the planet...:eek: IE: "Out Wickenburg Way"...:P

Good looking Jeep...:D Hope to wheel with you one day soon...;)

ob1jeeper,

Ah, yes. Wickenburg. Home of the famous Hassayampa River:

Those who drink its waters

bright-Red man, white man,

boor or knight,

Girls or women, boys or men

Never tell the truth again

I've been up there. In fact, the first time was driving the 2002 Jeep Wrangler X up there, and beyond that on (I think it was) route 89. That poor little Jeep probably still has my wife's fingerprints in the "Oh, GOD!" bar over the glove compartment. I just thought it was a nice casual ride with plenty of pretty scenery. :D