Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

George InCommunicato [Sorta]

FYI - G killed his computer the other day - he cannot connect to the internet.

If you send him an email he won't get it, but he can log on from my computer to get PMs here.

He clicked to 'download' a video on how to pull a power steering pulley & everything went south from there.

d :rolleyes:

Does he have CD/DVD capability on the computer (I known you're saying that the Operating System is down)? If so, it's possible to still use the computer using a LiveCD. Several exist that would allow him to at least have rudimentary use of it without touching the hard drive, including Ubuntu and Fedora distributions of Linux.

Does he have CD/DVD capability on the computer (I known you're saying that the Operating System is down)? If so, it's possible to still use the computer using a LiveCD. Several exist that would allow him to at least have rudimentary use of it without touching the hard drive, including Ubuntu and Fedora distributions of Linux.

Thanks for the advice. The computer operating system still works but he cannot connect to the internet. He obviously downloaded a virus which took over his internet connection. It spammed him for a while, redirected him to pages he didn't specifiy. I went in to clean it up with 'UnHackMe' and now it won't connect to the internet at all.

I tried to re-install his Cox Internet [hoping it would over-write the existing] but the CD just spun when it got to install.

We're either going to have to get an expert over here or buy a new computer, or maybe both! Luckily it's my old Sony Vaio which is about 10 years old. Kind of a drag we spent a little money on it last year upping ram & storage before I bought mine. Computers are definetly hard to keep up on.

George's new mantra: 'No Downloads', 'No Downloads', 'No Downloads'. Even if it looks innocent, like a DIY video.

I only use my windows box for software that requires it, do all my email and browsing on the linux box. I never have problems and if I ever need to reinstall I have my home directory backed up so that installation only takes a half hour and I am right back to where I was. No reinstalling software.

That sofware COX gives you you can throw right in the trash.

Diane,

It's possible to use a LiveCD Linux distro to save off anything important, then wipe the drive and reinstall (even that "other OS - Windows). :-D

Craig

Tyche

PS: Sorry for the late post, but we just got back from shopping, dinner, and a show.

CAE

Thanks for the advice. The computer operating system still works but he cannot connect to the internet. He obviously downloaded a virus which took over his internet connection. It spammed him for a while, redirected him to pages he didn't specifiy. I went in to clean it up with 'UnHackMe' and now it won't connect to the internet at all.

I tried to re-install his Cox Internet [hoping it would over-write the existing] but the CD just spun when it got to install.

We're either going to have to get an expert over here or buy a new computer, or maybe both! Luckily it's my old Sony Vaio which is about 10 years old. Kind of a drag we spent a little money on it last year upping ram & storage before I bought mine. Computers are definetly hard to keep up on.

George's new mantra: 'No Downloads', 'No Downloads', 'No Downloads'. Even if it looks innocent, like a DIY video.

Can look at it for u later this week guys