Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

overheat, did i blow my 4.7L engine?

on the way to crown king yesterday, jeep down!

while still on castle hot springs road, i suddenly overheated, then found out the drain cock little plastic valve thingy had come out and emptied the entire radiator. russ went back looking for the thingy and to get us some gallons of water from the marina. he didn't find it so i used a large bolt/nut and some Aqua-Mend (like JB-weld but works in wet areas) to make a new drain plug.

then filled the radiator, ran the jeep but it didn't seem to be circulating because i only added a gallon to the radiator and the temp gauge wasn't getting above 1/4 way up. so decided to drive it a little ways to get it up to temp and then add more water. drove like 1/4 mile and it was starting to warm up but not quite to operating temp yet and suddenly jeep died.

wouldn't turn over any more. got out and russ pulled the radiator cap and water shot out, so it was holding pressure, however engine had some smoke coming off headers. let sit for a while and then it turned over but ran horrible (deffinately missing some cylinders). turned off quickly and decided to get tow.

so am i going to need a new engine?

my best guess is that thermostat got stuck closed after first overheat and then caused second overheat and that one really toasted things. i figure i need to check oil to see if water in it which would mean blown head-gasket i think. then i thought i could pull each plug and look at it and check compression on each cylinder. not sure what else to do... any thoughts? thanks in advance.

Damn horrible news. If you ran without coolant do you know for how long? You could have damaged the valves and or rings.. Id say pull the head and take it in to a machine shop and have them look it over..

i figure i need to check oil to see if water in it which would mean blown head-gasket i think. then i thought i could pull each plug and look at it and check compression on each cylinder. not sure what else to do... any thoughts? thanks in advance.

G read this and agrees this is where you need to start. He's going to call you. d

My TJ overheated last summer coming up from the Verde Valley .......

At first I thought the head gasket was blown because the cab heater would not blow hot air ......

and when I filled the radiator up with water it would run cool then the temp gauge would peg all of

a suddern ...

I had the mechanics do a "blok check" ... with this procedure the heads do not have to be pulled ....

and it passed ......

Turned out to be a bad radiator .....

I'd start with the compression check 1st and see how your pressures are across the board before pulling heads.

Chris,

ABSOLUTELY do a compression test, and also look for bubbles in the radiator while doing the compression tests, prior to yanking anything... I suspect it's minimally going to take a head gasket, but do the diagnostics prior to pulling it down, so you KNOW what areas to focus the repairs on...;)

Deff wanna run a CT if you can get it to crank over... but if you cant?

If it won't crank over, then there is a good chance it's either gotten hot enough to seize a piston, or perhaps has a healthy enough water leak past a blown gasket or cracked cylinder, to be hydro-locking a cylinder... In either event that usually constitutes a new motor, as it is rare than one that has gotten that hot can be salvaged at a cost-competitive level as a new long-block assy...

Well if It does end up being a new engine, I will buy the beers. Least I can do...gotta have something to cry into....:rolleyes:

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help Kris....