Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

overheat, did i blow my 4.7L engine?

Use a camera to document how everything is put together

Use a camera to document how everything is put together

yes, that is great advice. that's what i did the one time i did an engine replacement before ;) took shots of the engine bay from 3 angles at every step of the way, and then detail shots of hose/wire routing and such too.

that, and bought a crap load of gallon zip-locks and every thing that came off got all it's bolts/clips/etc in it's own ziplock and that was taped to the part and labeled with a sharpie.

does anyone with an engine lift live even half-way near north phoenix?

If you come up short, let me know... I have one in Wickenburg...;)

Just wondering how many miles you were at when the radiator went?

Just wondering how many miles you were at when the radiator went?

i had replaced the first radiator around 110k i think. but this was only because i crushed the radiator support on a rock (for the second time) and busted the original radiator.

next the drain plug came out of that new radiator within a year and i now don't know if it just came loose and started all my problems, or if i actually already had a combustion leak causing pressure buildup in the radiator and that made the plug actually shoot out. either way, after that loss of plug and all coolant an resulting overheat, things got much worse within the next 9 months to the point of eventually diagnosing the combustion leak and doing the engine replacement.

Crazy crazy. Just wondering, sorry for the thread ressurection! And I'm glad you got it back up and running.

HI,

While reading this thread, I did not see where you actually determined what the problem is. It seemed like you tried a few diagnostic things then jumped to replacing the engine. I'm feel a little queasy about that because it is always better to diagnose the real problem. Or, did I miss something?

And, how is the replacement going? I hope well. What a mess, huh?

Sparky

HI,

While reading this thread, I did not see where you actually determined what the problem is. It seemed like you tried a few diagnostic things then jumped to replacing the engine. I'm feel a little queasy about that because it is always better to diagnose the real problem. Or, did I miss something?

And, how is the replacement going? I hope well. What a mess, huh?

Sparky

Thai was not a willy-nilly decision, the call to replace the engine was made when it started spewing white smoke like a steam locomotive. I will let Kris elaborate on this. George:cool: