Sign in to follow this  
06RubicAn

Sudden Jeep Shifting problem

I was wondering if anyone here might have some advice. About two months ago I changed the tranny fluid in my 2006 Jeep wrangler Rubicon. I used the AT+4 synthetic fluid as recommended by Jeep. I changed the filter. For the first month I had no issues. Then the other day she started shifting REALLY hard from first to second when driving. The funny thing is that it only happens when the Jeep is cold and hasn't warmed up completely yet. I know, I know, maybe let it warm up and deal with it, but I haven't changed my driving habits and was wondering what the change could be? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Craig

Sounds as if you may have a loose filter, a sticking valve, or perhaps a leaking apply clutch/piston seal ...

First tings first... When you changed fluids, did you also change the filter? If so, I would drop the pan and double-check that the filter attach screws were not left, or are now coming loose.

Next I would be suspect that perhaps the synthetic fluid is causing some leak-by a clutch apply piston, as synthetic's, whether in trans or engines have the tendency to leak past seals more readily than do normal "dino" fluids.

HTH, let us know what you find...;)

not sure which trans you have, but on my 545RFE, there is a common mistake of not following this instruction when changing the filter, which can cause issues:

CAUTION: The primary oil filter seal MUST be fully installed flush against the oil pump body. DO NOT install the seal onto the filter neck and attempt to install the filter and seal as an assembly. Damage to the transmission will result.

I read that as well, on diff types of vehicles not only jeeps. Incorrectly installed filter can cause this issue. Being that it was the last thing you had done to the vehicle.. I would check that out.

Sounds as if you may have a loose filter, a sticking valve, or perhaps a leaking apply clutch/piston seal ...

First tings first... When you changed fluids, did you also change the filter? If so, I would drop the pan and double-check that the filter attach screws were not left, or are now coming loose.

Next I would be suspect that perhaps the synthetic fluid is causing some leak-by a clutch apply piston, as synthetic's, whether in trans or engines have the tendency to leak past seals more readily than do normal "dino" fluids.

HTH, let us know what you find...;)

I have since parked the vehicle because I don't want to damage it. I believe I may have not installed the filter correctly when I replaced it according to your info. As for the synthetic fluid, I changed it with what was recommended by the manufacturer which is the AT+4 synthetic. I will pull the pan this week and make sure it is right. Sure wish these things came with drain plugs to make it easier and cheaper....at $4 a quart. Thanks all and I will post my findings soon.

Craig

I have since parked the vehicle because I don't want to damage it. I believe I may have not installed the filter correctly when I replaced it according to your info. As for the synthetic fluid, I changed it with what was recommended by the manufacturer which is the AT+4 synthetic. I will pull the pan this week and make sure it is right. Sure wish these things came with drain plugs to make it easier and cheaper....at $4 a quart. Thanks all and I will post my findings soon.

Craig

You can easily add a drain plug fixture to your pan when you have it down... I've added one to every auto I've ever owned...

Just drill a hole, clean the area with good grease/oil remover (like brake cleaner or Acetone), then sand/wire-brush the area, wipe it one more time with de-greaser, and solder in a bung into which a flush mounted 1/4" pipe plug can be inserted... WAY less messy when it comes time for servicing...;)

In the mean-time, clean the entire pan area thoroughly, then identify a corner or an end of the pan from which you can most-cleanly drain the fluid from the pan, without oil contacting anything other than running into a CLEAN container. Then loosen two of fasteners at that location about 1/2 -3/4 their thread length BEFORE moving on to any of the others. NOTE: The two you select should have at least one other fastener between them removed completely...

Then begin removing the fasteners closest to the two you have "1/2-way" loosened, progressively working your way to the opposite end. As you approach the opposite end, fluid should begin seeping at first, then running from the 1/2-way loosened fasteners. When this begins, stop and allow the pan to drain the fluid, until it slows to a drip, then slowly work the remaining fasteners loose, allowing the remainder of the oil to EASE out and into the CLEAN drain pan. Finally, while leaving one fastener at the opposite end of the pan from the original two that were 1/2 loose, approx 2 threads loose, support the pan at the two 1/2 loose fasteners and remove these fasteners, then SLOWLY allow the pan to drop, and the fluid to drain into the pan.

Then when it's pretty much drained, support and remove the final fastener... If you've taken your time, you should not have made any HUGE splash messes, and you will have retained your CLEAN and re-useable fluid...

HTH...;)

• Like 1

Thanks for this info I really appreciate it and will proceeding with this this friday afternoon. I will post up what I discover. YOu all have been very helpful and informative, thanks again. I will post what I discover.

Craig

Check the tranny fluid level. If its been a couple of months since the work was done it might be a little low due to the morning temp drop.

Thanks for the info everone, but strangley I could not find anything wrong with levels or installation, and now the problem no longer exists. But on a brighter note, in the process of troubleshooting this, I removed the transfercase skid plate and discovered the transmission mount completely destroyed. This was causing a weird grinding noise only at acceleration. It's good to have a nice and quiet Jeep again. Thanks again for the advice.

Craig