Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

Crazy Vehicles in the new "District 9" movie

Ok so yesterday I saw the new "District 9" movie by Peter Jackson (Lord of The Rings)... first it was the best scifi i've seen in forever! It starts out wicked slow, but stick with it and in the end you'll be like "that was a dam well done movie!"

but another kewl thing for our crowd was all the great military and expedition style vehicles it had... really neat giant troop carrier stuff and some smaller decked out armored trucks as well...

i couldn't find much info on the net about what the vehicles are, but check out a few of the images I was able to find:

506.jpg

district9_truck.jpg

MNUTank.png

509.jpg

UPDATE:

a friend of mine found that most of the vehicles are in fact actual south-african military stuff built by Land Systems OMC:

http://www.baesystems.com/WorldwideLocations/SouthAfrica/LandSystemsSouthAfricaLSSA/LandSystemsOMC/index.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casspir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G6_Howitzer

Second image is actually an ARFF truck. These are made by a few different manufacturers. It is an airport/aircraft fire and crash rescue truck. Looks like for the movie they have removed the remote controlled nozzle from the front and the boom/deck gun from the top. These are wicked vehicles. The driver actually sits in the middle and has people to either side. The driver also controls alot of the functions with joysticks.

BTW - I want to see this movie. I am hoping my friend Kris Smith calls me to go see it when he goes. ;)

2587372799_212925798c.jpg?v=0

1185_O-0438-THUMB2.jpg

2862315370_125f0d455f.jpg?v=0

I love Oshkosh equipment! :D They bought Pierce Manufacturing which makes the best fire apparatus in the world. It was nice to see a quality commercial vehicle company take in Pierce. Most of the other fire apparatus companies are going in the tank due to poor management, poor quality control and a decrease in demand due to the economy. Some of these have been around for over 100 years, but since they do not change thier fundamental business model, the do not adapt and thus do not survive. :(

I love Oshkosh equipment! :D They bought Pierce Manufacturing which makes the best fire apparatus in the world. It was nice to see a quality commercial vehicle company take in Pierce. Most of the other fire apparatus companies are going in the tank due to poor management, poor quality control and a decrease in demand due to the economy. Some of these have been around for over 100 years, but since they do not change thier fundamental business model, the do not adapt and thus do not survive. :(

I didn't know they bought Pierce. We drive past the Pierce facility located along the freeway in Appleton fairly often. It looks like they are quite viable. I don't know how they get those paint jobs on those trucks. Awesome.

I don't believe Pierce was "in trouble." I believe it was more of a strategic move on Oshkosh's part. ;)