Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

2/17/11 Sightseeing on the way to Mojave from PHX, AZ

Roadtrip On the way to Mojave Rd. from PHX, AZ

February 17, 2011

We're leaving Phoenix a day early for The Mojave Road to do some sightseeing on the way there. The itinerary is something of a 'Sploratory nature, and goes something like this:

Kelso%20RR.jpg

Thursday Morning: Drive from PHX, through Parker, AZ on CA SR 62 where we'll leave the pavement and go up Cadiz Road. Attractions include Danby Dry Lake processing works, Cadiz Dunes, Chubbuck Mine (Explosives Bunker), Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, Marble Mountain Fossil Beds, views.

From the intersection of Cadiz & Amboy Roads we'll go west a little ways to the Amboy Crater Road to check out a volcano.

Then we'll take the Kelbaker Road up through Kelso to explore the Railroad Depot before we go to Baker where we'll fuel up and go on to meet our party at Afton Canyon sometime Friday afternoon.

Most likely we will camp Thursday night unless a hotel or KOA makes more sense. This is a come what may adventure, so bring lunch & snacks, and be prepared to cook dinner in camp if needed.

Meet: 12PM @ Terrible Herbts in Parker (Just past the corner of Hwy 95 & Hwy 62).

CB Channel 4

Attending:

Number 7 & dzJeepchic

JKGoose

ducksface (joining us in/around Parker?)

Gearhead (tentative)

It's funny you posted this! I have been trying to find a friend to go along with me on the Mojave trip, but have been unsuccessful :(

Its also a bday trip for me and wanted to take some extra days off to do a little trail driving on the way down. I really do wish I was closer to you guys. Phoenix is over 700 miles from me, and the gas bill would insane!

I might just head to the campground a day early, get an extra day of camping and relaxing in at the very least.

Wish I could come along folks! Have fun!

James

I can do an extra day for some splorin'. :D

Count me in.

i'm thinking we'll hit Mitchel Caverns (a tiny but nice little cave), Kelso Train Depot, and Kelso Dunes... there's also some other things out there but I think those alone will pack a full day! if we have time, there's some long-cuts between those to take.

(long-cut: opposite of shortcut. a longer way around than normal, though usually with enhanced scenic value.)

;)

It's funny you posted this! I have been trying to find a friend to go along with me on the Mojave trip, but have been unsuccessful :(

Its also a bday trip for me and wanted to take some extra days off to do a little trail driving on the way down. I really do wish I was closer to you guys. Phoenix is over 700 miles from me, and the gas bill would insane!

I might just head to the campground a day early, get an extra day of camping and relaxing in at the very least.

Wish I could come along folks! Have fun!

James

i have a friend with a jeep in the bay area, i'll see if he will come on this trip - but wouldn't hold my breath!

If you are coming north to I 40 then you might want to check out Mid-Hills in the Providence mountains. It is a great camp site with little use and some fun house sized rocks to climb on. If I remember it right, it is about 20 or more miles from I 40 north but worth the drive.

Let me know if you are coming this way, I might meet up with ya. I would guess that you would come up Cal 95 to Needles?

Mikey

We are in lake Havasu, we'll meet you on the 40 or in town dependent on which way you're coming in.

Consider a stop at Goffs CA, about 20 miles from the cavern turnoff on old 66. The curator there is a 60 year vet of the area between Barstow and Needles and has a new $3million dollar library and a great collection of mine equipment that has been dragged in over the years. He is keeper of ALL the secrets for that part of our desert....

He's the only person I trust with the coordinates to my underwater ghost town....

I believe that Mid Hills is still open and would work out well. Check it out.

Mikey

I just realized that this really encompasses 2 days of 'splorin'. All day Thursday, and since we don't need to be to Afton Canyon until late afternoon we could easily fit something in Friday. d :rolleyes: