Sign in to follow this  
Bandit1

New York State Owned Off-Road Park Project

I have only begun to brush the surface of this monumental task. Through the beginnings of my research efforts over the last few months, I have discovered that there are several states West of the Mississippi River that have one or more state owned ORV parks or recreational areas. California for example has 6 such parks they own and operate. However here, east of the Mississippi River, ORV parks are few and far between. The ones that we do have here are privately owned and can get to be expensive due to insurance and liability issues. What I am proposing is a lower cost option for the Northeast USA.

With all the bad press we in the off-road community get due to those among us that fall in the 10% rule, we have fewer and fewer land and trails open and available to us. Let those of us, who are true enthusiasts, band together to petition the State of New York to repurpose some of the state land and reopen them as an ORV/OHV Recreational area. These parks could be multi use parks that allow for all types of OHVs. The scope of the parks would allow our community to safely and responsibility enjoy what we do.

Today’s off-road community member for the most part is nothing like our fore-fathers. We are responsible stewards of the land that we trek on. We are always trying to preserve what we have for future generations to enjoy as well. Let us band together and show the government that we are not the people that lead to the decisions of land and trail closures.

There is a huge unknown (to the gov’t) need for safe, LEGAL, OPEN places for us to enjoy our sport and hobby. By the State of New York opening parks like this, it will be a win-win for everyone. The state government will generate more revenue for their budget and the off-road community will get low cost LEGAL, OPEN places to enjoy taking our vehicles off-road.

Here is the link to the online petition:

State owned Off-Road Vehicle Recreational Park Petition

Thank you to all who view and support this project.

Don

Bandit1,

I sympathize with your quest for more off-roading capability in New York State. As I no longer live there I can't in good conscience sign the petition. However, I remember only too well the excuses that were made. New York State accepted the insurance companies excuses that the owner of the property should be held responsible for accidents/damage incurred on off-road runs, thus making it expensive for land owners to open the property up to off-road vehicles of any type. Even snow-mobiles and such were beginning to feel the pinch, though not as much if they had property of their own that they could use. New York State, itself, refused to pay for such insurance, thus had to close the land to off-road use. I really doubt that you will be able to reverse that decision as the insurance companies have a large lobby. However, I DO wish you the best and hope that you can do something, since my son (also a Jeeper) still lives in New York State.

Craig

Tyche

Bandit1,

I sympathize with your quest for more off-roading capability in New York State. As I no longer live there I can't in good conscience sign the petition. However, I remember only too well the excuses that were made. New York State accepted the insurance companies excuses that the owner of the property should be held responsible for accidents/damage incurred on off-road runs, thus making it expensive for land owners to open the property up to off-road vehicles of any type. Even snow-mobiles and such were beginning to feel the pinch, though not as much if they had property of their own that they could use. New York State, itself, refused to pay for such insurance, thus had to close the land to off-road use. I really doubt that you will be able to reverse that decision as the insurance companies have a large lobby. However, I DO wish you the best and hope that you can do something, since my son (also a Jeeper) still lives in New York State.

Craig

Tyche

Thanks for the headsup on that, but even if they ins companies have say, with the money to be made off the parks, they could pay the ins costs themselves as part of the overhead. Basing off an estimated overhead cost, the park would only need to sell about 600 passes per year or about 2 per day on average to break even and not cost the state money. I know if this project sees the light of day here, there will be many many more than that. The other thing is that if California can have a state owned ORV park system and be successful, then why cannt New York?