theksmith

What did you do to your rig today?

Yesterday I FINALLY set my LS motor(LM7) and its accompanying 4L60E(trans) into my YJ. It is not completely secure as we are welding in the trans mount next week, so the rear of the drive line is sitting on a jack stand. Once the drive line angle is set and the mount in place, she will be getting her new LS wiring harness.

new_motor_set_in_frame.jpg

That's pretty awesome grunt. I hope to be doing the same next spring. The block and crank have been "on ice" sitting at the machine shop since 2014 and new heads in storage. Time i do something with it.

taking the new JK for its first oil change today!

Had a bit of an embarrassing moment the other day. I was at a local store and several people were admiring the Chief. Jumped in to start it and nothing happened. Key turned, but way to easily, I could tell it wasn't moving the linkage to the ignition switch. No problem, I'll hot wire it. Nope, it will run, but can't shift out of Park. Turns out the part shown below broke at the red arrow. That rack moves the shift interlock and ignition switch.

column%20actuator_zpszpuoijcz.jpg

I managed to remove the ignition switch from the column and moved the interlock out of the way and drove it home. 3 hours of work later, fixed. I had to take most of the column apart. What a PITA.

Curly

I've been wanting to fix up the exterior of the Chief a bit, but not paint it. It doesn't make any sense to paint it since I do intend to take it off road. Anyway, the original paint stripe was in bad shape and remanufactured ones are available.

I had a heck of time removing the old stripe until I tried an eraser wheel. That worked really well to take off the stripe, but didn't touch the glue underneath. I spent a lot of time getting that off.

How the stripe looked before I started:

100_6569_zpsupaaw67g.jpg

100_6571_zpsarxk4mcn.jpg

After the eraser wheel:

100_6568_zpsot8vrekb.jpg

New Stripe

100_6578_zpsmbmgwv9v.jpg

100_6580_zpslnevq9km.jpg

Done:

100_6581_zps91bvcsql.jpg

Edit: The upper stripe is next, as soon as I find a suitable replacement.

Curly

I think Stinky should be strictly a show Jeep since your doing all this cosmetic work.

G:cool:

I think it looks really great.

I really like it. Nice job.

You have done a great job on your baby, both cosmetic and mechanical. Really looking good.

Lookin' SHARP Tim... Great to see it coming back to life... ;)

Gotta love those older GM steering columns. Striping looks great!