Jump to content
theksmith

What did you do to your rig today?

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Curly said:

I'm hoping the F.O.R.D. paint will help the Jeep be First On Race Day and not Found On Road Dead.  :)

Or that you have to Fix Or Repair Daily. ;) 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For. Off. Road. Duty!

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, no , no, y'all got it wrong!  It's F**ked Over Rebuilt Dodge...  🤣

 

Music Video Reaction GIF by Wrabel

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old school hot rodders often have a big thumpy cam that creates poor vacuum at idle.  And cars with turbo's create positive pressure in the manifold.   One trick used with vacuum assisted brakes is to add a vacuum pump and/or reservoir.  My old jeep has decent  vacuum at idle but there have been occasions where the engine dies on a hill and while I get one more pump of the brakes, after that it is no longer assisted. 

 

So I added a reservoir which did adda couple of more pumps, but I decided to also add in an electric vacuum pump.   I can turn it off and on at will, mostly I just leave it off.   The idea is if I die on a hill or am getting dragged for miles off of a trail, I will have excellent brakes.  

 

The pump is attached between the reservoir and the brake assembly.  I left the check valve on the brake assembly reservoir and there is a second check valve on the tank where manifold vacuum is attached.  

 

 

jeep brake tand and reservoir.jpg

Edited by WILL E
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, WILL E said:

Old school hot rodders often have a big thumpy cam that creates poor vacuum at idle.  And cars with turbo's create positive pressure in the manifold.   One trick used with vacuum assisted brakes is to add a vacuum pump and/or reservoir.  My old jeep has decent  vacuum at idle but there have been occasions where the engine dies on a hill and while I get one more pump of the brakes, after that it is no longer assisted. 

 

So I added a reservoir which did adda couple of more pumps, but I decided to also add in an electric vacuum pump.   I can turn it off and on at will, mostly I just leave it off.   The idea is if I die on a hill or am getting dragged for miles off of a trail, I will have excellent brakes.  

 

The pump is attached between the reservoir and the brake assembly.  I left the check valve on the brake assembly reservoir and there is a second check valve on the tank where manifold vacuum is attached.  

 

 

jeep brake tand and reservoir.jpg

 

so modern!

 

giphy.gif

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by theksmith
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I replaced my Optima batteries with a pair of Odyssey batteries.  I have been using optima's for years.  I knew a guy decades ago,  well into the last century, who was a dealer for the original optima batteries.   The original optima's were hard to kill and lasted years.  But my enthusiasm for the brand has lowered over the years and I thought I would give the Odyssey's a chance.    

 

Of course there were issues.  I had bought a battery box that was specifically made for the optima.  The Odyssey is a bit bigger and didn't fit.  A friend with a plasma cutter helped fix that problem. 

 

But the Odyssey is also taller.   Letzroll did a custom battery enclosure for the aux battery.  The taller Odyssey fits fine BUT my circuit breaker setup which I mounted on the top of the battery hold down was now interfering with the hood.    Great. 

 

So  I redid the what was originally a very graceful mounting of the circuit breaker and replaced it with something that is less graceful.     This makes me a bit sad because I was very enamored with myself for the original mount.  It was just one of those rare fabrication moments where it all fit perfectly, looked good, was super functional, etc. 

 

Then I went to replace the primary battery and, of course, there were issues.   The Solenoid that is used to manually connect the two batteries together was in the way.  It wasn't a problem with the Optima, they have the coil design so they are not 'flat' on the sides so my solenoid mount was fine.   The interference wasn't too bad so I took a file to the plastic part of the solenoid and created just a bit of space. 

 

So that was my day.  Overall a good day working on the jeep in reasonably nice weather.   Only one trip to the hardware store and I escaped there only spending a few bucks on longer bolts and other stuff. 

 

  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I will add to this thread.

I am doing a kinds bigger project on my 2019 ZR2.

I am adding a 1 inch level kit on the front, putting on 35inch tires, cutting the fenders and adding flares to clear the 35's, re-gearing to 4.10's from the factory 3.42's, added a hidden wench to the factory front bumper(control box is located under the hood), adding good set of under armor, and changing the bed rack to a lietner, It will raise my tent but allow me to stand the spare tire up in the bed.

I hope to be done by Saturday, or early next week.

IMG_E2126.JPG

IMG_E2113.JPG

  • Like 5
  • Wow 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mostly done with my Naspresso (Napa) compressor hard mount. Finished the wiring to the relays etc today. I didn't have the factory aux switches so I used the offroadland 6 gang set. I didn't want to drill anywhere to mount it so I used a carmount magnetic holder, which lets the switch move a bit if you want to reposition it. 

Big thanks to everyone for the input and to Scott for the loom!

20220105_200205.jpg

20220105_195914.jpg

20220105_195855.jpg

20220105_195830.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LaZorraRoja said:

Mostly done with my Naspresso (Napa) compressor hard mount. Finished the wiring to the relays etc today. I didn't have the factory aux switches so I used the offroadland 6 gang set. I didn't want to drill anywhere to mount it so I used a carmount magnetic holder, which lets the switch move a bit if you want to reposition it. 

Big thanks to everyone for the input and to Scott for the loom!

20220105_200205.jpg

20220105_195914.jpg

20220105_195855.jpg

20220105_195830.jpg

You know I've got plenty more if you want to wrap those primary cables

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stacey and Scott said:

You know I've got plenty more if you want to wrap those primary cables

Ha! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...