Jump to content
theksmith

What did you do to your rig today?

Recommended Posts

Nice job on the shop organization.  I wish I had room for a drill press. 

 

I cut some holes in my glove box door and added some gauges. 

 

rUDgj8T.jpg

 

Fuel pressure, oil pressure (stock gauge sucks), oil temp, trans temp, AFR (for tuning) and a volt meter.   Still need to hook up most of them, that's this weekends project. 

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got Betty Lou back from the dealership. She had all four of her ball joints and the sway bar bushings replaced.  Everything was covered under warranty which expires next week, so I just got in under the wire. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shellback91 said:

Just got Betty Lou back from the dealership. She had all four of her ball joints and the sway bar bushings replaced.  Everything was covered under warranty which expires next week, so I just got in under the wire. 

 

Nice man! Were they found to be worn out during a routine inspection or were you having some type of symptom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, 4x4tographer said:

 

Nice man! Were they found to be worn out during a routine inspection or were you having some type of symptom?

No symptoms from the ball joints which was a bonus. I had Betty Lou in my local stone of fire shop for an alignment and they found a little bit of play in the ball joints.  They gave me a price that I was not joyously jumping up and down about.(This was before I found out they were covered under warranty) I wanted a second opinion so I took it to Joe at On Point Performance. He showed me there was some play(Not enough to be concerned about) and he recommended they get done under warranty since I had that available. That dude is a rock star as far I'm concerned.

 

The sway bar bushings issue was found when I took it in. They noticed there was squeak when they moved the sway bar around. This may be the squeak I have noticed for a while when I hit bumps when wheeling and driving. I have not been able to pin point that squeak and trying to find it has been driving me nuts honestly.  I will find out if that fixed it next time I'm on a trail.  If not, the hunt will continue. 🙂

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, shellback91 said:

No symptoms from the ball joints which was a bonus. I had Betty Lou in my local stone of fire shop for an alignment and they found a little bit of play in the ball joints.  They gave me a price that I was not joyously jumping up and down about.(This was before I found out they were covered under warranty) I wanted a second opinion so I took it to Joe at On Point Performance. He showed me there was some play(Not enough to be concerned about) and he recommended they get done under warranty since I had that available. That dude is a rock star as far I'm concerned.

 

The sway bar bushings issue was found when I took it in. They noticed there was squeak when they moved the sway bar around. This may be the squeak I have noticed for a while when I hit bumps when wheeling and driving. I have not been able to pin point that squeak and trying to find it has been driving me nuts honestly.  I will find out if that fixed it next time I'm on a trail.  If not, the hunt will continue. 🙂

 

Joe is the boss for sure. Had our 3.6 Caravan in to him for rockers, lifters and cams. Super happy with that guy and will always recommend. Just wish his shop wasn't such a pain in the but to get to. ;) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

prepping for this weekend's trip...

- topped off the washer fluid

greased 23 of the 25 grease points on my rig

- underbelly inspection (look for any loose nuts/bolts, wet areas/drips, fresh rub marks, etc.)

- still todo this evening: check/tighten the Teraflex adjustable lower ball joints

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I did a carburetor swap on my Wagoneer yesterday.  My wagoneer runs very well, but is terribly slow on acceleration.  I decided to risk $100 and see if a new/different carburetor would help any. (cliff notes: It didn't. :)

The Jeep came stock with a Carter 2bbl carb that has a reputation for poor idle/stall , etc, although mine was working fine.  I installed a Chinese copy of a very common Ford Carburetor, the Autolite 2100/2500. 

To start I removed the old carb.

IMG_0052.jpg.4d89d3a7279ebe6ec16dcc369b83bf20.jpg

 

I had to install an adapter because the Autolite has a larger base and wider bolt pattern.  There will be a bit of a restriction here, but I am not looking for race car performance here.

 

IMG_0055.jpg.eeee5204c550efb762acb137f328eccf.jpg

 

New Carb installed

IMG_0057.jpg.bce0516d2bf0e2cd6bde0db4a250c722.jpg

 

 

I had to fab a throttle link because the old carb was a pull down set up, the new one is a pull back.  This set up works great.  (Not my carb, but this is what I did)

IMG_2189.JPG.1b1127e2dd4976ab998d74336686622d.JPG

 

I stole the air cleaner off of one of my other cars for a test drive.

IMG_0060.jpg.2a86ce5122a253ccce24ad72dd2d62fc.jpg

 

The carb worked great out of the box, I did have to adjust the Idle speed and mixture.  No regrets on the install even if it didn't do what I had hoped.  I have the other engine that I will be installing soon, and this intake/exhaust and Carb are going on that engine.

 

Trivia: Did you know Carburetor is a French word  that means "Don't Mess with it!"  :)

 

 

 

Edited by Curly
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the new Carb didn't make any difference in performance, the beast is still sluggish.  So, its engine swap time.  Pulling the original engine and installing the used one I posted about earlier.  I've replaced the timing chain in that one, checked Main and Rod bearing clearances (in spec) and replaced all the freeze plugs as well as all the external gaskets and seals.   My son helped me pull the hood off, and so it begins.......................

 

IMG_0078.jpg.e2f35cc0d45205ad8f19d12cffbdd322.jpg

 

 

  • Wow 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am replacing the main springs on the rear of the Jeep.   Ran into an issue with the shackle.   So while it sits on jack stands waiting for a part I replaced the air injection tubes with plugs.   The AIR emissions system is complicated, finicky  and its help in reducing emissions is nominal, especially now that I have a modern cat converter. 

 

 

Edited by WILL E
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some work done on my me-joints. 

20220505_205618.jpg

20220507_055200.jpg

  • Wow 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...