Sign in to follow this  
klaykrusher

Steering loose/knocking - LJ

So I still have a bit of play in the steering. It is really noticeable when driving a long left hand turn, feels like a 1/4 to 1/2" of play and knocking. Straighten out and it is fine. Same with on the trail, but even more noticeable. Can make it happen sitting still when steering is turned almost full to the left. Not seeing any play in track bar or stabilizer (as these were just fixed) or tie rod ends/ball joints. Almost sounds like it coming from the steering box. I know, hard to diagnose over the forum, but any ideas?

The pitman arm might be cracked. George:cool:

Thx George, just did a check and and did not see any cracks or fatigue. Could this be play in the steering box? If so, I guess I would expect it to be at all ranges of the steering, not just isolated to the left side.

I don't think it is the steering box. If you can bring it over so I can look at it. George:cool:

Will do, I'll send a PM to arrange a day/time. Heading up to the Grand Canyon/Sedona for the next couple of days. :)

just did a check and and did not see any cracks or fatigue. Could this be play in the steering box? If so, I guess I would expect it to be at all ranges of the steering, not just isolated to the left side.

i recently researched similar steering issues and the forums say Jeep steering boxes typically hold up well for 100-150k miles. of course we aren't driving our vehicles under typical circumstances but my xjunk is inching closer to 150k miles & the factory issued steering box feels rock solid (knock, knock).

my issue resides in keeping the steering wheel straight after some of the trails i choose to run w/ George.

we checked my steering recently and found a little play that was largely isolated within the track bar. so we rebuilt it and i wonder:

• are you still running the stock steering/track bar setup in your sweet sahara edition LJRubi?
  • have you replaced any ball joints since upgrading to a bigger lift & larger tires?
  • how about the control arm bushings; ever replace those?
  • have you had your tires balanced recently since the last G(George/Gnarly)trail run? might sound silly but it helped me out once.

i recently researched similar steering issues and the forums say Jeep steering boxes typically hold up well for 100-150k miles. of course we aren't driving our vehicles under typical circumstances but my xjunk is inching closer to 150k miles & the factory issued steering box feels rock solid (knock, knock).

my issue resides in keeping the steering wheel straight after some of the trails i choose to run w/ George.

we checked my steering recently and found a little play that was largely isolated within the track bar. so we rebuilt it and i wonder:

• are you still running the stock steering/track bar setup in your sweet sahara edition LJRubi?
  • have you replaced any ball joints since upgrading to a bigger lift & larger tires?
  • how about the control arm bushings; ever replace those?
  • have you had your tires balanced recently since the last G(George/Gnarly)trail run? might sound silly but it helped me out once.

Hey thanks Scott. Here's what I've done recently:

New Johny Joint control arms (8)

New Big Daddy Tie Rod

New Steering Stabilizer

New Track Bar Bushing

Still have the OE tie rods with 17,000 on the heep

Sitting on pavement I can make it knock when moving the steering wheel back and forth. Almost feels like it is between the steering box and steering wheel. I do have to get these tire balanced though, but I don't think that is the steering issue.

Hey thanks Scott. Here's what I've done recently:

New Johny Joint control arms (8)

New Big Daddy Tie Rod

New Steering Stabilizer

New Track Bar Bushing

Still have the OE tie rods with 17,000 on the heep

Sitting on pavement I can make it knock when moving the steering wheel back and forth. Almost feels like it is between the steering box and steering wheel. I do have to get these tire balanced though, but I don't think that is the steering issue.

the tiny u-joint in the steering shaft can go bad, i don't think it's common though

I would check the free "lash" in the steering box. The lock nut is backed off and lash adjusted out (with wheels OFF the ground) whilst rocking the steering wheel about 1"- 2" ....a 2 man job, but very quick and easy. On my European (Steyr) built ZJ the lash adjuster is a female Torx fitting, but your US built Jeep may be Allen key type.