Sign in to follow this  
jhart

Sleeping in an LJ.

I just want to post an update on this project.

I have used this sleeping setup several times with my 12-year old son and we both sleep very comfortably with it.

We spent Labor Day weekend up at Munds Park and I finally convinced my wife to try it out and sleep in the Jeep with me. When she first got in and laid down to go to sleep, she said "This is not comfortable at all! It feels like I'm sleeping on a piece of wood!" Apparently I forgot to close the air valve on her self-inflating mattress. Oops!! Once I got the air mattress to inflate again and closed the valve she was very impressed by how comfortable it is.

This project that she had doubts about in the beginning, has finally passed the test. This means more camping for us, because she really doesn't like to sleep in a tent. YAY!!

Also, the polyurethane coating that I put on to protect it from moisture has held up very well. I was a little concerned about how it would hold up under the summer heat. I have had no issues at all with it.

Sleeping in the jeep rocks! My gf loves it. Glad your setup works. George:cool::D

Thanks to this thread I was able to build a platform with a few modifications and changes of my own.

I don't have a storage box so I installed a leg under the rear most platform and made a cross bar with 2 legs on it for the front.

I then covered it with cloth and a thin layer of padding.

I found the Exped Megamat duo 10 (Regular) fits absolutely perfect between the tailgate, front seat backs, and the roll bars.

20180515_210851-01.thumb.jpg.04c9f1c9b0b1a9f41dcca75eb3703d60.jpg

20180515_210519-01.jpg.157ff97246bb7ef51317b6b491364be5.jpg

20180513_141847-01.thumb.jpg.9160d36c19a644e33e7eef03170ff4f6.jpg

20180517_161710-01.jpg.050fb651ac658e3674b69cc77d13c226.jpg

Nicely done!

In your second pic I see the rear seat installed. Is it removed it in the other three pics or just folded?

Nice find on the Exped mat. How large is the mat when it’s rolled up?

really nice job on that Evan!

With the rear seat folded down it acts as a center support for the platform.

Rolled up in its storage bag I believe the mattress is about 22 X 11in. However the bag is designed to accommodate the mattress tightly rolled or loosely rolled in a hurry. REI website says 7lbs 8oz btw.

Thats cool. I kinda did the same in my tj. I didn'use it for sleeping but just a top level for the stuff i unloaded frequently. Works great.

Yea, I use it as a storage shelf and cover all the time too.

And it's great still having all 4 seats useable.

Evan, what rear bumper are you running?

Any comments pro, or con?

Both my bumpers are made by JCR Offroad. What you see in my pictures is the vanguard full width rear bumper with the tire carrier. The bumpers are great and built in Michigan. I've been dragged out of the mud with the tow points as well as dragged and pushed other Jeeps. My only gripe is with the optional powder coat which is done by a separate company. The coating chips off too easily and doesn't seem to really get into all the small interior areas. I'd suggest buying one in bare metal and coating it yourself.