Sign in to follow this  
scottL

U-Turn XJ/ZJ/TJ Replacement Tie Rod / Drag Link Kit

G'day I don't recommend the U-Turn steering conversion. After installing it on our XJ, we developed "bumpsteer" and the Jeep didn't track appropriately. We sold the U-Turn and purchased from JCR

To eliminate the "tie rod roll" we used two washers in conjunction with their spacer. No "bumpsteer" and no "dead spot." Dr. Tim

Hello down there Dr. Tim; thanks for sharing your experience!

decided against U-turn; currently in the process of rebuilding my existing currie correctlink steering.

i wonder what do you mean by "tie rod roll"? or "deadspot"?

i may have all those symptoms..

also upgrading my leaky factory steering box. thinking either a '99 dodge durango unit or a new PSC extreme duty jobber.

i've been told rebuilt boxes are hit-or-miss.

price:

brand new Mopar '99 Dodge Durango Steering box (without snow plow option) $800

Vatozone rebuilt '99 Dodge Durango Steering box Lifetime limited warranty $215 (w/ $115 core refund)

PSC "extreme duty" pump from quadratec $399

Vatozone?

Happy to be of assistance, ScottL! The commonly referred to "tie rod roll" and "dead spot" are symptoms of "inverted-T" steering geometry when using tie rod ends. These are terms I've discovered by perusing various boards similar to this one in an attempt to correct this issue. The problem does not occur with spherical rod ends. JCR's steering is an "inverted-T" system. The cause of the "roll" and "dead spot" is the lower drag link tie rod end that bolts to the passenger tie rod end causes a "roll" or a lateral movement of the passenger side tie rod end when turning either left or right. To correct this, JCR has developed a bushing made from polyurethane (others have tried using Delrin) that replaces the rubber protective covers most often used on tie rod ends. This minimises the movement of the passenger tie rod end and prevents (although it does not eliminate it entirely) the dreaded "roll" and "dead spot." To eliminate all of these annoying pests, we used Rancho shock washers (used to compress the bushings on shock mounting studs) and JCR's polyurethane bushing between them. I recommend this method if you should choose to select an "inverted-T" steering system. It does work well and it is inexpensive. Credit for this corrective measure goes to the fine engineers at AMC/Jeep. They used this very same method to "tighten up" the steering on the J-trucks and Cherokees. For a steering box, what we've found to work for us is the YJ box. It was chosen for it's fourth mounting bolt (more strength) and the ratio is a bit quicker. J-20 boxes are also an excellent choice. With our YJ box, it's also slightly easier to turn the larger tyres when in deep sand, mud, or rocks. The box was purchased from the States using eBay. It was re-built and had no signs of wear. The seller was called "Redneck Ram Steering" and we're not sure if they are still operational. They were very polite and generous enough to drill and tap my box and installed a plug for later removal should we wish to add a ram. We are using a pump from AGR. The pump leaked at the hoses, but we replaced the hoses and it has not leaked since. I've never heard of Vatozone. Is that a manufacturer? I'd be interested to see their products. PSC makes great products. We have their pump and steering box on the Rubicon and it has served us well. 4WD sold us the PSC system. No installation issues were encountered. But be warned, they are more expensive. From my experience, the simplest option is usually that which is most readily available for replacement. As we all know, eventually all things must come to an end. Parts that are common and plentiful make for much less frustration when replacement time arrives!

I've never heard of Vatozone. Is that a manufacturer? I'd be interested to see their products. PSC makes great products. We have their pump and steering box on the Rubicon and it has served us well. 4WD sold us the PSC system. No installation issues were encountered. But be warned, they are more expensive. From my experience, the simplest option is usually that which is most readily available for replacement. As we all know, eventually all things must come to an end. Parts that are common and plentiful make for much less frustration when replacement time arrives!

thanks for the information Doc;

vatozone is really just a slang term for Autozone out here in the valley of the sun, like Sprint auto parts in Oz.:o

i've been looking into the PSC stuff more recently because i was told i would have to cut a notch into the "frame rail" in order to get the dodge dakota box to fit on my '01 cherokee. not sure that is a job i want to tackle..

looking at Quadratec.com, the PSC box sells for $399 & the PSC pump for $179. Q boasts lowest prices guaranteed.

in a perfect world i just need someone with experience in both set-ups to help guide me.

i wonder how much better does your psc system work if at all over the stock rubicon steering?

already got the C Rok inner steering box brace primed and ready for install:

Don't buy it until you see it in action, looks like the tie rod end hits the diff cover. George:cool:

looks like you are absolutely right. but with tons of comments in here i could already decide whether to replace mine or not. :confused: still confused. no questions so far i am still not done reading all comments on the first page. this is the best tie rod end thread that i have read so far.