Sign in to follow this  
Number7

Large Marge: G&D's 2004.5 Dodge Diesel 2500 4x4 Tow/Expedition Rig

This is Large Marge, our 2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4. We bought it new and immediately set to building our ultimate expedition vehicle for easy and moderate trails.

Kofa%202010%20214.jpg

Within the first year of owning it, we added these modifications:

• 5.5" Sky Jacker Suspension lift (which we later swapped out using Rock Krawler flex Control Arms)
  • Hummer take-off wheels & tires; 315x70x17 BFG A/Ts
  • Dyna-Trac lock-out hubs
  • Suncoast Triple-disk torque converter and valve body
  • Smarty Jr. programmer (we run it on the economy mode, it adds horsepower, spools up faster, and gets better fuel mileage per gallon)
  • Air-Raid Air Intake
  • Banks Exhaust

When we finally got around to starting a build thread, we were on to the custom Cook-Box fabbed with brackets to bolt on at existing exhaust manifold heat-shield bolts:

DSCN6518.JPG

Here it is in place:

DSCN6519.JPG

Here you can see how it bolts on with the plastic head-cover bolts, and with the lid open how big the oven is. Notice the wire I added that keeps the lid open.

DSCN6520.JPG

I also installed the most important piece of equipment for any expedition vehicle:

DSCN6521.JPG

Looks like an alien took that picture! I'll add details about the Dodge build shortly.

George

:cool:

I also installed the most important piece of equipment for any expedition vehicle:

DSCN6521.JPG

MVP status.. never hit the trail without mine. i like the contrasting black on chrome look.

Love this truck. Glad I got to check it out in person. Ive been thinking of possible upgrades for later on down the road, and this is deff near the top of the list! Cant wait to see the specs and build list on this!

I think it adds a nice little touch:

DSCN6530.JPG

Some random photos of the beast:

At Yuma Proving Ground on the way to the KOFA, 2010

Kofa%202010%20039.jpg

In Kofa Queen Canyon, KOFA NWR, 2010

Kofa%202010%20261.jpg

On the way to Ouray, CO towing Number 7, 2010

DSCN2981.JPG

El Camino del Diablo, 2010 - at the Boy Scout Memorial

DSCN1038.JPG

El Camino del Diablo 2010

DSCN0998.JPG

Mojave Road 2011 at Beale Mountain

DSCN6269.JPG

Mojave Road, 2011

DSCN6287.JPG

On Hoover Dam - on the way to The Rubicon Trail 2009

RubiconTrail2009017.jpg

Somewhere in northern Nevada on the way home from The Rubicon Trail, 2009

RubiconTrail2009452.jpg

Inyo Mine, Death Valley, 2009

2443352250100085335S600x600Q85.jpg

Warm Springs Camp, Butte Valley, Death Valley Trip, 2009

2202491390100085335S600x600Q85.jpg

God I love this truck! d :rolleyes:

Great looking Dodge. I'd like to set up my '01 for expeditions if I can get permission from the wife to put a shell on mine.

Great looking Dodge. I'd like to set up my '01 for expeditions if I can get permission from the wife to put a shell on mine.

It does make it harder to drive in town, can't see out the back as well, but it sure makes life more comfortable on the trail. I didn't think I'd like it at first but now I can't see not having it. It's perfect for how we use it. d :rolleyes:

Looks good Diane and George. This is how I have always liked tow rigs set up, can be used in combination with the Jeep or on its own. When this rig goes along will probably be the times that my Dodge goes out, keep me up to date on runs you think it could handle.

Looks good Diane and George. This is how I have always liked tow rigs set up, can be used in combination with the Jeep or on its own. When this rig goes along will probably be the times that my Dodge goes out, keep me up to date on runs you think it could handle.

You would have been fine on this weekend's trip exploring the Devil's Highway area, except for the 4-wheeling portion we did yesterday. d :rolleyes:

Pictures of the rig this weekend:

DSCN6535.JPG

DSCN6541.JPG

DSCN6571.JPG

DSCN6543.JPG