Sign in to follow this  
AZBillyBoy

Tire Advice

I am sure I posted this in the wrong classification....

It is time for tires on my 1998 Tacoma. I have always run the BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. The current set is the first I have had with the “new” tread design.” (KM2)

Pros: Performed well.

Cons: Terrible mileage, very prone to “chunking.”

My vehicle is at the ripe old age where it is used mostly offroad. Very little pavement except getting to and from the fun spots. The previous Goodrich tires I have had since 1998 did not seem to tear out or “chunk” pieces so easily. Perhaps the rubber is harder/softer (?) No doubt for a better ride but at a price for durability.

I have tried private brand tires (Big O’s Mudder, Firestone Destination Mudder), with totally dismal results.

So this time around I am looking at either

1. Staying with BFG because they do work reasonably well.... or...

....the following possibilities

Kumho Road Venture MT

Yokohama Geolander MT

Hankook Dyna Pro MT (leery of this one because it is a Chinese tire although I was told it has the old Goodyear MT tread pattern. However that doesn’t mean it is the same tire).

Where to buy?

Desert Rat is out. Their idea of customer service is “go away.”

Discount is the obvious choice. However, while their website claims they offer many different brands, the stores don’t actually stock much other than the Goodrich and Goodyears.

I live in N Phx so any place out of my area (Mesa, Tempe, etc.) is not an option.

Input would be appreciated on brands - please be specific. Like “why” !!

And where to buy....

I am old enough to remember when stores actually gave customer service. Today however it seems we are all numbers and customer service is a dead option. The short of that means I usually buy something like Discount’s replacement plan so if a 10 penny nail rips my tire to shreds out on I-17 I don’t have to buy a whole new tire. Tire stores seem to vary from not offering a replacement plan to a plan where you almost have to engage in hand to hand combat to get an adjustment.

Thanks

I ran the BFG ATs and MTs on my '97 Tacoma. For my FJC, I wanted to try something different so I went with ProComps Xtreme MTs. So far (about 10K miles), I've been happy with them. I got them at 4WheelParts in Mesa, but I think that they have a Phoenix store also.

picture.php?albumid=13&pictureid=102

I really like them. The only thing bad about them is they require allot of weights compared to most other tires. But for an off road driving experience, with BFG it outlast other tires. Its one of the pickup accessories that i cant live without to my trail riding escapade.

I am running the second set of BFG AT on my 94 YJ, the first smaller set was replaced to go to the 33X12.50s.

In a back to back test on a trail, they performed better when wet than a bunch of other brands. I liked that.

They are good on traction both dry and wet, on the highway and in the rocks or on slickrock. They are quiet on the highway, no whine.

The down side is that there is not much tread up on the sidewalls which may or may not make holding on a side slope the best. I haven't tested that aspect out all that much.

So: summary: good on traction, quiet on the highway, no sidewall tread, and I would buy more when needed. I bought mine at Big O in Fountain Hills.

If you live in the vicinity of 12 St and Camelback, let me know as I have a local tire shop that can help you and order whatever you want....They have alot in their warehouse, so its usually quite quick. Local guy/owner. Otherwise, I tend to shop Discount for the road warranties.

I ended up getting the Hankook Mudders. I was still undecided until I ran into a bunch of guys running them while clearing brush on my forest road project. They all spoke highly of them. What really surprised me was the total lack of response by the local tire stores. I asked five stores for a price and only one responsed. Including Discount, which was not the respondent!! So much for businesses being hungry in a tough economy!

Time will tell if I made a good choice or if I ended up with another lemon loser like the infamous Big O Mudder or the Firestone Destination Mudders. :eek:

BFG KM2's are the best tires i ever ran. i would recommend them to anyone.

other tire companies do not have the technology, time or dollars spent on research and development like a bfg or goodyear.

you get what you pay for.

I have run BFGs since I bought the truck in 1998, with the two exceptions listed. The new tire tread design on the KM2s wore horribly. They chunked massively and I only got to around 25,000 miles on them. Maybe that's all a tire like that can handle. Like I said, if I bought a lemon with the Hankooks I will know within a year. The Hankooks supposedly have the same tread design as the old Goodyears. I think BFG changed something in the rubber compound (softer or harder?) no doubt for a better ride but at the expense of durability. Plus they added siping which only allows little rocks to tear away at the tread.

hopefully the Hankook Mudders treat you well. let us know over time how they do!

BFG KM2's are the best tires i ever ran. i would recommend them to anyone.

other tire companies do not have the technology, time or dollars spent on research and development like a bfg or goodyear.

you get what you pay for.

i agree. i always had all-terrains before, was afraid of potential noise/vibration/handling/etc with muds, but the KM2's have been excellent for me - i am on my second set.

they of course do not last as long as a less performance-oriented tire. if you need to balance longevity for a daily driver with performance then you might look at something else. otherwise, i feel the performance & looks of the tire warrant the price tag and shorter life. i had no problems with uneven wearing on my first set, nor this set (which i'm only a few thousand miles into).

I have to agree. I have noticed considerable chunking on my KM2s. :(

I have run BFGs since I bought the truck in 1998, with the two exceptions listed. The new tire tread design on the KM2s wore horribly. They chunked massively and I only got to around 25,000 miles on them. Maybe that's all a tire like that can handle. Like I said, if I bought a lemon with the Hankooks I will know within a year. The Hankooks supposedly have the same tread design as the old Goodyears. I think BFG changed something in the rubber compound (softer or harder?) no doubt for a better ride but at the expense of durability. Plus they added siping which only allows little rocks to tear away at the tread.