Sign in to follow this  
pete.wilson

Very Good Cooler - YETI

Hey

If your like me and getting tired of the usual Coleman and Igloo coolers and how they don't keep ice; then, I suggest you look into YETI Coolers. They are very pricey (I bought an 85qt unit for $380.00) BUT it proved to hold ice. I left on April 23rd for a week long Bigfoot/Camping trip here in Virginia and returned home on May 2nd. I used a total of 4 bags of ice, including the initial fill and it lasted until Wed. May 4th with the water still being rather cool. The weather was from 60's at night to the low 90's on most days with a medium amount of humidity. I used 6 bags of ice to keep drinks cold in a small igloo picnic basket cooler that lost ice at a rate of 1 bag each day. This cooler is much better designed, built and will last me for years, not to mention Bear Resistant. I'm planning on buying a second one slightly smaller soon and giving my Coleman's and Igloo's away. Check out: www.yeticoolers.com for more info.

Pete Wilson

Yeah we are sold on the Yetis as well. We don't have one yet but have had the pleasure of seeing one in action. We just have so many other things to get right now that $350 for a cooler keeps getting pushed back. Icant wait to have one.

I haven't ever used one of these coolers but if you are going to spend that much why not just buy a refrigerator? They are about the same price and you don't have to buy any ice. I'm not trying to be a smart-ss, is there any benefits over these coolers then a 12-volt frig for you? Interested in your opinion.:confused:

Well first off you are relying on a electrical source. second, its another thing to break down and third they cost more then 300 for a good fridge. keep in mind I am a K.I.S.S. type of guy.

IMO these are about the top shelf items in keeping food cold

Yeti 65qt $350

Engel Cooler 80qt $350

Engel fridges 60qt $1300

ARB fridge 63qt $945

We currently run with a 120qt Igloo "classic" its not too bad but come the 4th day we need to find ice and that's with have certain items already frozen and the rest already cold when they went in. Ive seen guys go 14 days and they still have frozen steaks in their Yetis

Not bashin' or lecturing ya azscout I just thought I would give you as much info as possible.:D

• Like 1

Makes sense. I guess I haven't considered the breaking down part of having a fridge on board. I have run with several people on here that have one and I'm a bit jealous of them. I really like the "dry" part of them. I suppose if you did have a good cooler you wouldn't have to worry about all that water either though.

Hey

For as much as I could go extended camping; I couldn't justify the $1000 for the fridge, let alone buying one of the slide mounts for the fridge. And speaker of mounts; when you take out the fridge, you still have a possible mount in the way. Take out the cooler and there is nothing in the way. Excess drain water can be used in your radiator if your leaking, or drink the water if in a emergency. Freeze water in 20OZ. gatorade bottles and put them in the bottom of the cooler and it will help keep it cooler longer than if you didn't or again when they thaw, drink the cold water. I will admit, for those who do alot of camping a fridge would be more consistant and better on long trips but it's hard to beat the simplicity of a cooler & ice.

Pete Wilson

[/

icon1.gifRe: Very Good Cooler - YETI

Well first off you are relying on a electrical source. second, its another thing to break down and third they cost more then 300 for a good fridge. keep in mind I am a K.I.S.S. type of guy.

Not bashin' or lecturing ya azscout I just thought I would give you as much info as possible.:D QUOTE]

So are you getting rid of your home refridgerator? :D

So are you getting rid of your home refridgerator? :D

ROFLMAO!!:D:D:D:D

Yeah right after the stove!!

HI All,

I have the smallest Yeti cooler. It is used in a system with with my ARB Fridge/Freezer. I freeze those plastic ice blocks in the ARB and cool the Yeti with them. As a system, it works well.

I am impressed with the Yeti. It seems to retain cool better than any cooler that I have used. Of course, the ARB is a gem.

Sparky

The following coolers are cheaper and work just as well as the overprice Yeti's:

Canyon Coolers -based out of Flagstaff and sells coolers in the valley at a few stores - I have 2 of them

K2 Coolers

Brute Outdoors

Engel