Sign in to follow this  
GRUNT

Thinking of Bamse

Our old friend Bear (Bamse on this forum) was involved in a bad wreck on the 17 going North. He called me and stated he and his father were travelling in his Jeep, when the front right tire blew and pulled them into a tractor trailer. He was brief with details as he was pretty upset. This happened near Camp Verde. He said they were flying his father to Flagstaff Hospital.

I sent an all-call out on our little jeeping group for people to contact him. Janenne(In-A-Rut) made contact and got more info. He is without a ride and thinks the law enforcement might be able to get him to the closest town. Janenne cancelled all her appointments to go up and get him and take him to Flag to see/be with his father. She said he believes his Jeep is a total loss and perhaps his M-101 trailer as well.

His mother is flying into Phoenix sometime tonight. I am going to try to get her and drive her up to Flag if I can. She may need the rental car, as they are now without transportation. If they need her to bring up a rental, I will be driving up there to check on Bear. Janenne is going to do the leg work to find out about his Jeep and trailer and if we can get them from the tow yard and do anything with them.

UPDATE 5/5/11 @ 1810hrs.

Janenne called to say Bear received a ride into Cottonwood from the LEOs. He is getting a rental and going to Flagstaff. His father has 2 broken ribs but is doing good. LEOs told Bear that his M-101 saved them. The Jeep pulled into the trailer, which kicked it out. Then the Jeep and 101 jack-knifed. The LEO stated the 101 kept the Jeep from rolling and causing more damage. His mother will be flying in tomorrow. Last wword is that the hospital is going to keep his father from a few days.

I will keep you guys posted with info. If you are a friend of his and want to drop him a call to let him know you are thinking of him, I am sure he would appreciate it. For, ate, oh, 4, four, O, oh, six, sicks, one

If you have questions, call my cell -- for, ate, oh, too, fife, one, to, for, one, seven

Best wishes to him and his father, hope he is ok!

Most Important, I guess Bear is unhurt. He was able to get a ride into Cottonwood and was renting a car and headed to Flagstaff last I heard. His Dad has a couple broken ribs but the hospital is keeping him to observe. Not sure when B's Mom can get here, she's also looking into flying into Flag vs. PHX, but don't know if she can. More as we learn it.

Wow, I feel bad for you Bamse! Glad you are ok. George:cool::eek:

Thanks for the update D! I updated my first post and just saw yours.

Thanks for the well wishes and thanks to Russ Chung for the phone call and intent to help/check on him.

Please extend my best wishes to Bamse and his dad, too. I'm glad he's OK, and that his dad's injuries are restricted to a couple of broken ribs. That could have been a LOT worse. ANY blowout at speed is bad, but a front (and especially a front right) is just plain nasty. Bamse shouldn't feel bad about not controlling it, as one almost has to anticipate that it's going to happen to manage ANY control. I've been through enough "interesting experiences" on the road to know (delivery driver, semi driver, bus driver, and transportation coordinator) just how fast things can happen and how bad they can be.

Update:

Bear found out he had 2 broken ribs and 5 cracked, and some bruises.

Dad had 2 broken ribs and 10 cracked, and bruises. He also had a broken knee cap.

Last night Dad had surgery and is doing well. Bear is coming back to Phoenix today or tomorrow to get things in order. He is leaving Thursday to Utah to drop off some things and then flying to Virginia to start his new job.

Last I heard, he had removed all goodies that were salvageable from the jeep. Hope to see or hear from him soon.

Poor B! And poor us that we don't get to see him one last time before he takes off. =(

I was relieved to read that his Dad is doing good now, I think the hospital is releasing him soon.

Did Bear say anything about the Jeep? How bad is it wrecked? Since it didn't go over I wonder if it's salvagable?

We're going to miss him that's for sure. d :rolleyes:

Did Bear say anything about the Jeep? How bad is it wrecked? Since it didn't go over I wonder if it's salvagable?

d :rolleyes:

I think Janenne said it was totalled.

Bear mentioned he may be cancelling his order on his new car and getting either a truck or another Jeep. Virginia can be rough sometimes without 4wd. ;) Hopefully he will get another Jeep, then he can wheel when he moves back here.