Sign in to follow this  
Rescue55

Truck rock panel

I just picked up a this F150 and the rockers are worn out at the bottom. I buy online a pair of rocker panels for trucks as a replacement. My friend advised me to cut out the rustness from the old part and place the new one over the top. I want to ask is this the right way of attaching this. Thanks.

When it comes to work like this, I usually search google, youtube as well. To see if anyone has posted step by step DIY's etc.. that way I can see exactly what work is involved and if tis something I can tackle on my own.

To answer your question, yes thats the basic idea, cut out rust replace with new material. However, its not that easy for most of us haha.

Good luck!

James

trim the new parts to only be as big as needed to replace the rust, then trace around the new parts on the existing panel and cut that out a little big.

then the tricky part is you need to weld some tabs so they are on the back side of the panel you are replacing. could be done by drilling some holes and rosette welding if you can't access the back side because it's "inside" a sealed area like in your case.

then set your replacement part into the cut out space, so it rests against the tabs you made and the replacement part now sits flush with the existing body panel - this is the key. now weld this replacement panel to the tabs you made - again you have to rosette weld if you can't access the back side.

the important part is to get the replacement panel flush with existing panels. you then use body filler to file the gaps and holes. sand and fill multiple times till everything is perfect, then guide coat and sand some times, then primer and paint and clear coat.

autozone/checker/etc sells haynes or chilton books on body work in the same location as the normal model-specific mechanic guides.

oh, and if no access to welder, there are modern epoxies that will out-last the metal - you can use these for all the attachment (to "glue" tabs and panels together) instead of any welding.