Sign in to follow this  
scottL

Rubicon Express

i've been searching for replacement RE6300 control arms bushings without luck due to RE's chapter 11 status.

apparently, 4 wheel parts is taking over the helm as of august 1, 2011: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/

in searching, i've also found a replacement bushing kit utilizing polyurethane from Daystar:

Daystar_Rubicon_Express_Replacement_Bushings.jpg&w=400&h=&page=popup

Daystar is proud of their replacement bushings:

Attention all Jeep owners with Rubicon Express control arms: due to overwhelming demand, Daystar now offers heavy-duty polyurethane bushings available that replace the troublesome rubber hourglass bushings used in the company's long-arm and short-arm kits. Specially formulated from a unique new blend of polyurethane, these bushings have much of the same elasticity as the original rubber bushings, yet are capable of surviving the most demanding off-road conditions.

Designed as direct replacements for the larger and smaller "hourglass" bushings used in upper and lower RE control arms, no modifications to the arms themselves are needed and even the original sleeves can be re-used. They are packaged in sets of eight; four large and four small bushings in each kit.

Suspension designs that utilize control arms offer several benefits over solid-axle designs. However, the bushings that serve as the pivot points for the control arms get a real work out, and over time, they wear out. Symptoms of worn control arm bushings include suspension noise and clunking while cornering and the inability to hold an alignment. Daystar Control Arm Bushings are a significant upgrade over the rubber bushings most suspension systems use because they are resistant to vehicle fluids and road grime. They offer less deflection under load and superior wear characteristics. These bushings make the perfect upgrade when replacing worn factory bushings and for high-load applications, such as heavy hauling or vehicles that frequently go off-road.

since purchasing the Rubicon Express long arm kit new in august '09, their rubber control arm bushings have been replaced twice due to wear evidenced from a "clunking" sound in my jeeps front axle.

also, my wheeling habits have increased both in frequency and in difficulty since then, so i was somewhat prepared for the rubber to wear out often.

when fussing to other wheelers & vendors with experience in RE's bushings in the past, i've heard rumors theirs are inferior and i should've went with Teraflex or Rock Krawler etc.

but it's too late for this kid and the clunking has returned once again..

should i live with the clunk until august and go with another set of "inferior" bushings i know will fit?

or should i try the daystars that are supposedly less "troublesome"?

i'm leaning toward ordering a set of Daystars, praying they'll fit good and if so, learn the hard way if they'll last longer too.

anyone have experience good or bad with daystar replacement bushings?

whats the cost difference between these and regular replacements?

all i know is that poly usually transfers more vibration to you in any kind of bushing or mount form, however i would be willing to sacrifice a little in that area to have something last significantly longer.

those are my random thoughts, sorry i don't have any specific answers for you!

whats the cost difference between these and regular replacements?

all i know is that poly usually transfers more vibration to you in any kind of bushing or mount form, however i would be willing to sacrifice a little in that area to have something last significantly longer.

those are my random thoughts, sorry i don't have any specific answers for you!

no sweat Kbrother;

i can't remember what i paid for the original RE replacements even though i've purchased them twice in the past few years. i seem to remember it's not $ignificant enough to make a difference.

the daystars go for $49 and the local desert rat has them in stock down the street.

Rat wants $150 installed as long as they don't have to burn the old ones off the sleeves.

i'm most concerned with fitment & longevity at this point because they're a PITA to replace.

I tried a "poly" tranny mount and thought my jeep was going to explode from the vibrations. I had to start from 2nd because 1st was unbearable. I promptly removed it. Although I think some of my shackle bushing are poly, I will not substitute poly for rubber again.

Changing to poly bushings directly connected to the power train, liek engine mounts, tranny mounts, you will see significant increase in vibration depending on the level of poly. With suspension poly bushings, vibration shouldnt be an issue but it will tighten everything up, make the daily drive routine a bit harsher.

That has been my exp. with all my race/autoX cars. I have ran poly tranny mounts, engine mounts,, suspension bushings, control arm bushings, ball joint cups etc; I have yet to try any poly in my truck. Assuming theres not much diff tho.. You will get more noise from the poly also. Specially when wet and cold

One way to look at it, the polly should be removable without damage, so if you dont like it, you shoudl be able to remove and sell and get some money back. Although now looking at that photo.. those look liek 1 piece press in bushings, where as most of the stuff I ahve used is 2 piece..

did enyone end up trying these out? unless they have worked realy well I think I'd rather replace the rubber more ofter than run poly.

typical red poly has a hardness, on a 1 to 100 scale, of 80. Typical rubber is a 60 on that scale.

Vibration will indeed go up expotentially at 30%x. [i'm not good at math explanations.]

IN FACT vibration is up [or down considering the mechanics of the actual rotating/vibrating part that is 'bushed']

30%x, however, perceived butt-feel is up/down 300%.

YMMV. So may my numbers. It's from my memory, but pretty close.

Except for sway bar bushings, use the rubber if you care about ride.

If you're worried about the rubber engine/trans rubber pulling apart;

Drill them and put a bolt in them [on the lift side] and tighten it to the LEAST compression and then lock-nut it. It will never be able to go past the point of rest and can't pull itself apart. You'll get a 'click' on complete and harsh unloading, but that's about all you'll notice.

And there is no reason NOT to have a grease fitting on poly or rubber leafspring eyes and other insert type bushings. A quick hole and tap and a $1 zerk will make sure they come out easily in the future. Lubricants vary dependant on bushing material.

On a related note;

my 'vette [in my album, click my avatar] has solid steel mounts on engine, trans, rear end. Not even a rubber grommet or gasket.

HOWEVER; it is IRS [differential is bolted to the frame and the axles have ujoints] so there is no dampening needed as nothing flexes or rotates upon torque that isn't connected to the frame. No vibration of any sort because there is no resonance being generated through the system.

But a lopey cam makes the whole car rock in exact syncopation because the tires are now dampners. Torque lifts my whole car, not just the drivetrain.

THAT's what happens with poly mounts. The added stiffness is trying to lift your entire vehicle instead of flexing at the mount.

I tend to talk in circles because I can always 'see my house from here'. Linear thought/time seems to get me lost....

did enyone end up trying these out? unless they have worked realy well I think I'd rather replace the rubber more ofter than run poly.

yes.

they work great and honestly i couldn't tell much difference with noise or vibration compared to the rubber ones.

funny you resurrected this because Number7 just replaced the poly's for me again last weekend. he said they weren't too trashed compared to when he replaced the original style rubber ones.

i've replaced both types of bushings since installing the RE long arms and would say poly's last longer than rubber bushings but not by much.

you may want to stick with rubber.

Thanks scottL, Ive just put R/E short arms in mine. The bushes are fine now but i'll have to do them sooner or later.

I like the description of your vette Ducksface.