Posting On Behalf of SonoranWanderer who is out of the country CAVU2
Crapshoot Trail on Table Mesa.
Crapshoot is a 7.5 mile trail with a moderate section and a difficult no-bypass obstacle. This is Trail #40 in the FunTreks book for Arizona. The trail (west to east) starts from the intersection of BLM 9952 and Table Mesa Rd (9997). It runs generally south until it intersects BLM 9954 where we will turn left and begin our trek northeast. The trail ends where BLM 9954 intersects Table Mesa Rd.
The moderate obstacle, moderate section and difficult obstacle are on BLM 9952.
- The first moderate obstacle is a short limestone, soft-surface, steep climb with no bypass.
- The moderate section is a long, loose-rock, shelf road climb that peaks on a hard-right, blind turn to a steep, long, loose rock descent.
- The difficult obstacle is a long section of loose rock, steep decent with a no-bypass ledge drop off. Trail leaders can offer line advice and spotting assistance.
We will be stopping at both obstacles to allow drivers not familiar with this trail to view and decide their preferred lines, get advice, and arrange spotting as desired.
- PDF Map of Table Mesa: here
- Funtreks GPX of the route here
- Driver experience with moderate to difficult trails.
- 4x4 with low range, aggressive MT or AT tires (32"+), skid plates, rock rails, recovery points front & rear.
- Rig must be road-legal with all necessary safety equipment, current registration & insurance, etc.
- Sufficient off-road lighting for nighttime obstacle maneuvers
- Lift with good flex (2"+)
- Over-sized tires (33"+)
- CB or ham radio
- Bring adequate water and snacks for you and your passengers.
- Meeting location: dirt lot in the southeast corner of I17 and Table Mesa Rd.
- Meeting time: 6:30 pm (air down)
- Drivers' meeting: 6:50PM
- Run start: 7PM
- CB channel 4
- HAM frequency 146.460
- This run should take 4-5 hours.
- This run is limited to 5 rigs.
- CAVU2 (Kevin)
gearhead (Mike) riding along