Started making a list of things I need to get the Jeep road worthy again. It still won't be pretty, but can a YJ ever really be pretty? The back seat was the parts holder.
I started with the easy stuff, pulled the hardtop off and put on the bikini top for summer. My supervisor was loads of help, well as much help as a 3 year old can be. She won't let me work on it with out her.
Next came new headlights, one of the old ones burned out, so I upgraded them to the H4 bulbs. New H4 on the left and old sealed bulb on the right.
Since I like having the extra lighting of the fog lights, and we don't have street lights out here. I had to replace the old switch.
Next came upgrading the alternator. I remember the last time I had it, with the headlights, the radio and a turn signal on the voltmeter would dance to the turn signal. More annoying to me than anything, plus it was also the original one so I thought it would be a good time to upgrade it to a 105 amp alternator.
Then I started to tackle the fuel pump. The first time I had it, I ditched the old Carter carburetor for the Mopar MPI kit. The kit has you put the fuel pump on top of the fuel tank skid plate. After installing it there, I could not drive from Tucson to Phoenix without it vapor locking on me, and eventually I could not drive the half hour down to the grocery store and back without it dying. I tried the Hesco high volume pump, changing fuel filters, blowing out the fuel lines, checking for debris in the tank that was getting sucked up to the screen. My friend installed a second high volume pump as well as the adjustable regulator and it seemed to work for him. But he was not driving it more than 20 miles at a time. After buying it back I worried about getting it home, since it was a little over a two hour drive, and it happen again 10 miles from home. So I thought hopefully replacing the fuel pump with one from a '95 Wrangler and dropping it in the tank with more cooling properties than outside the tank will alleviate that problem. Only time will tell.
While the tank was down, I thought it would be a good time to upgrade the shackles and replace the leaf spring bushings. the frame side bushings were the originals and the leaf side were put on 17 years ago with the lift. Black original and red were the Rancho replacements.
Might as well as upgrade to the Currie Boomerang shackles. Angle of the shackle is off, because the axle is still at full droop.
After the rear shackles and the tank was back in place, it was time for rear brakes. Again original rear brakes, 27 years old and 111,000 miles. I still have a lot of travel in the brake pedal so I'll have to investigate that further.
Coming up next on the list and haven't been done yet, replacing the front shackles and bushings, a new front shackle mount and a transmission rebuild.
The reason for a new shackle mount.