theksmith

Apex AutoLYNX - Innovative anti-sway bar disconnects for JK/JL/JT (and more)

Posted (edited)

when my Rubicon SmartBar (the magic push-button disconnect system) wore out, i replaced it with a regular anti-sway bar and some Teraflex quick disconnects. 

any brand of traditional disconnects are simple and effective, but i've really missed the SmartBar's convenience when i'm out wheeling alone and have to try and perfectly level the rig to reconnect.

AM-JKLXY6vrs1h2zVeDCv2kio26zPoU44gKOzhOv

and so i was super excited to try out these new AutoLynx "just turn 2 knobs" style disconnects😋

AM-JKLUWfd7Rfr_TRZleHBa91Jzch0jtkEpi3O31

those 2 pieces replace your existing sway-bar's fixed or disconnectable links. the fancy machined aluminum and blue knobs on top of each one make it obvious these aren't your grandpa's disconnects!

AM-JKLUMtYVMl9fAJgArd3pywutqy14DXYcR99cQ

with the knobs in the locked position, they pretty much act like standard links - letting your sway bar do its job cutting down major body roll when taking corners like Ricky Bobby or driving a lifted rig on the freeway in the slightest breeze.

however, with a quick half turn of each knob, they unlock and can then independently vary in length allowing your mall crawler to mad-flex on even the tallest urban parking obstacle!

they work much like a shock, just without any dampening effect - a photo explains better than i can:

AM-JKLUJMD6EvE0AeuVRWCemrLugcyxVkt-21T-A

for most folks, it will only takes a few minutes to adjust them to match the length of your existing links and then bolt them in.

my Clayton track-bar bracket had changed where my passenger-side link was mounted to the axle, and so i had a little more work to do. the mounting hole on that bracket was so low that the end of the AutoLynx was hitting the bracket. i couldn't just space it out with washers as that put the new link on a big lean and looked like it would still hit during full articulation.

so the first step was to drill a new mounting hole up a little higher in that track-bar bracket. i ended up having to buy a new step-bit and use a right-angle drill to fit in there.

AM-JKLXO0YZWufvez6GSsG0-S5AdGJpbq346b2FH

of course i then needed to raise the mount on the driver side to match. i didn't have a piece of 1/4" or 3/16" thick metal handy to make a new bracket out of, so i had to butcher my existing tab.

AM-JKLVafp-vNPOPVNIm54m6FJfY3dU2aOfn_bEm

with those slight changes to my setup, the AutoLynx fit as expected without any rubbing.

AM-JKLVS2TA1DNkedATO82kvj-dhCPehtV3PAnYM

the AutoLynx are available in 2 sizes, an 8.5" stroke and a 10.5" stroke. i purchased the longer ones since my shocks have 12.1" of travel.

you might be thinking: "hey, those numbers don't match!" - good point, so what happens? well, during extreme articulation, if one shock is fully compressed, then during the last 1.6" of extension on the other side, the sway bar is going to start acting "connected" again. 🤨

that might not matter depending on your exact setup - but i just so happen to have my junk dialed in pretty damn well so that i was using all but the last 3/8" of travel on one shock and completely extending the other when in a full-flex-for-the-instragram situation. and so yes, i did lose some articulation after installing the AutoLynx - about one inch it turned out.

i found when the nose is down, i lose that inch on the droop side (that shock doesn't fully extend)...

AM-JKLVAU2ADgk_-h78G-Bf_RvQ_BW1qQL7DCdhD

and when the nose is lifted, i lose that inch on the compressed side (that shock leaves an extra inch of travel unused).

AM-JKLXK5gcu6iO9vKiE_1L57gRP7AudzrzQ0gza

the convenience of the simple 2-knob connect/disconnect system outweighs that loss of flex in 90% of the wheeling i do.

however, it is going to bother me that i'm limited when doing extreme trails or trying to look good on an RTI ramp!

hopefully Apex will come out with a third, longer-stroke version. i'm strongly considering making mine fully disconnectable for crazy trails though. i think i'd just need to fab some appropriate size lower studs for them to attach to instead of the bottoms being bolted in - we'll see how that works out.

AM-JKLWQWh-0aLpXg2TEFozG6enyl0HXOgWD2yOb

the convenience doesn't come cheap, but they are easier to install and still cheaper than full replacement systems such as the SwayLOC, the G2 CORE Sway System, or the Teraflex Sway Bar System. some of those products do offer multiple rate bars though, so it's not an exact apples-to-apples comparison.

i also can't comment on longevity yet. they are supposed to be fully rebuildable (beyond just the rubber bushings). however, Apex doesn't have any individual replacement parts listed for sale yet on their website.

in summary, the AutoLYNX are a new solution to a common annoyance. they're simple to install and use, and do work as advertised - but they can limit a really flexy rig just a bit.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 6

That's a pretty neat and nifty set up but for $400 I'll stick to the manual connecting/disconnecting method. 😜

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Trail Toy said:

That's a pretty neat and nifty set up but for $400 I'll stick to the manual connecting/disconnecting method. 😜

For a JL or JT, there is also the consideration of modifying your front axle. Manual sway bar disconnects require you to remove a mounting tab on the passenger side that supports the factory sway bar link. The AutoLynx solution allows you a “disconnect” that keeps your front axle unmolested.

I just installed a set on my Mojave Gladiator (JT) this weekend. I actually bought a set of manual disconnects (JKS), but saw the AutoLynx solution before I got around to taking the grinder to the front axle.

I will almost always choose a solution that requires the least modification to the vehicle’s factory design. The extra convenience or laziness factor is a bonus! 😃

Edited by SonoranWanderer
  • Like 2

Holy cow - those things are awesome. I didn't know such a contraption existed. Any opinion on something like this versus AntiRock's system that you never need to disconnect? I know there's a slight loss of flex with AntiRock as well.

Also, Gadget has a LOT more flex than I thought. 😱 Looking good!

P.S.: Stumbled across your video on DeathBurro 1.0 

So. Many. Questions.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, 4x4tographer said:

So. Many. Questions.

Thanks Ryan, that was a rabbit hole I did not know I needed to go down.  I too have questions now.  🤣

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, shellback91 said:

Thanks Ryan, that was a rabbit hole I did not know I needed to go down.  I too have questions now.  🤣

Blah, Blah, Blah...Dogbone. said every computer challenged old person

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

Holy cow - those things are awesome. I didn't know such a contraption existed. Any opinion on something like this versus AntiRock's system that you never need to disconnect? I know there's a slight loss of flex with AntiRock as well.

Also, Gadget has a LOT more flex than I thought. 😱 Looking good!

So. Many. Questions.

My opinion of the AntiRock: trying to be everything, it's not really great at anything. Ultimately it's just a really soft (anti)swaybar. You slightly compromise your on road stability without being to go all ultra sexy flexy. And they charge you premium bucks for it. FYI, per the AntiRock installation manual, you have to trim the bumper bracket on a Rubicon. May or may not apply to an aftermarket bumper. The manual also suggests other trimming may be required. See my previously stated opinion above on unnecessary vehicle modifications when other/better options exist.

The AutoLYNX costs less, does not compromise on road stability, and may only slightly compromise sexy flexy, or may not even compromise that depending on your suspension setup. And if you want max flex, like @theksmith mentions, you could enhance them with lower (manual) disconnect pins.

Disclaimer: I have manual disconnects on the Rubi electronic swaybar on my 2008 JKUR, and (8.5") AutoLYNX on the 2020 JTM. I think my wife might have grumbled something about leaving her 2015 JKUR alone.

12 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

So. Many. Questions.

Hahahaha! I can't believe you found Deathburro - that's still around?!? I too had questions, but by now I know that's just K for you.  🤣  

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2021 at 6:14 PM, 4x4tographer said:

Holy cow - those things are awesome. I didn't know such a contraption existed.

the AutoLynx are a brand new product - i believe the July order window was only the second small batch ever produced beyond a few beta tester kits. Apex's website says their founder previously worked at Fox as well as Falcon (Teraflex). so even though there's some risk trying out a new product, i feel pretty good about them knowing they're designed by someone with plenty of industry experience.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:14 PM, 4x4tographer said:

Any opinion on something like this versus AntiRock's system that you never need to disconnect?

i agree with @SonoranWanderer and have never understood the cult following of the AntiRock - it's just an expensive light resistance anti-sway bar.

set-it-and-forget-it is appealing, but i think the complexity/cost of certain things having different "modes" is warranted. there's a reason lockers (versus limited slip) and selectable 4wd t-cases (versus always-on AWD) are the default with people that like to do harder trails. i feel like the same approach applies to anti-sway bars and it's not something i want to live with a compromise on - especially on-road. having a tall flexy suspension and big tire sidewalls, i want the stiffest anti-sway experience i can get on the highway!

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2